1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God TOLD Me

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Mar 12, 2011.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord leads through the Spirit and speaks to us through His word.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.​

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.​

John 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.​

HankD​

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just last night I was telling someone about Todd Bentley, who claims that God tells him to kick, punch, and otherwise abuse people in order to heal them.

While I know that the counterfeit doesn't disprove the genuine, I am very skeptical of people's claims that God told them something.

Yet I know there's been time in my own experience when God led me to prayer or other actions in a very specific way - but never in an audible voice.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder why the discussion always seems to hinge on whether or not God speaks in "an audible voice"?

Why is the audible voice the gold standard of God's communication to His people? Is it tied to the times when the Father spoke from the heavens to testify to Jesus at His baptism and, transfiguration and in John 12?

Why do some people demand an audible voice as evidence that God communicates?

Jesus taught that His sheep know His voice. I believe mature Christians can discern the truth or falsehood of what God allegedly speaks to others simply on the basis of what has been said. God's word validates itself.

Last night as I was about to drift off to sleep, my wife mentioned she had been studying her Bible while I was finishing a project at the office that evening, and she told me what she believed God has told her about something she has been concerned about for months. It was absolutely the right thing to do and her response involved trusting God to work out the circumstances over the next year for the next move in her life. I affirmed what she believed God had told her and it gave both of us quite a bit of peace.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I identify with what you posted. I certainly don't demand an audible voice, and it's a good thing, because God never has acceded to such a demand.

I have seen on "Christian" TV, some guy would be preaching along, and suddenly he stopped. "Wait a minute," he said.

"Uh huh......Uh huh....Yep.....Okay, Thanks Lord. Folks, God just spoke to me and told me......."

Made me sad.

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

And nine out of ten times if you 'are obedient ' to these charlatans' 'Lord' you'd be $100 lighter in the wallet.

6. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Years ago, a pastor of our church had the "leading of the Lord" for us to buy some real estate and build a large church on the land. When the money to build the church could not be raised, he moved on to another ministry.

The next pastor felt the "leading of the Lord" to sell the property; things were not going well and money was getting tight. I still remember one member getting up in a business meeting and wondered why God had changed his mind.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to me that if God is the one who has given the insight/direction, you don't have to announce it... God's people will know.

8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I agree. Perhaps God would show us more things if we didn't try to make something happen as a result of it. If God shows us something, we should keep it to ourselves unless there is a compelling reason to tell it.

Some people use the "God showed me" approach to make themselves appear more spiritual.

9. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

...or to coerce people.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

A former pastor of mine taught homiletics at the nearby Bible College (now Mid-Continent University, Mayfield, KY). Each student had to preach an expository sermon as part of his course work. One young man was in evangelism, and when his turn came, he preached a topical sermon (actually one he just pulled out of his files). My pastor gave him an F.

When the young man finally get his grades and saw the F, he stormed into the professor's office. "God told me to preach that sermon," he fumed.

The professor responded "God told me to give you an F."

11. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The professor responded "God told me to give you an F."
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

...the Lord works in mysterious ways, huh?

12. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Many years ago, one of the old Saints told me the following concerning this Lord showed me stuff: "Poor God, He gets blamed for everything."