1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God wants to save everyone without exception?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by npetreley, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Wrong again. Unless you totally wrench the individual verses containing "many" and "all" in this Romans 5 passage out of context, you should clearly see the logical flow of Paul's thought throughout in which he uses "many" and "all" interchangeably to describe the same group of people, especially in contrast with the acts of one (alternatively the first and second Adam). But I'm not surprised you're not going to concede that point. :D

Pot...Kettle....
    You did show me several verses in which Jesus is said to be a ransom for "many". I showed you in response a passage where Paul uses "many" and "all" interchageably in the universal sense. You refuse to acknowledge it as such because you are assuming Calvinism in interpreting the "many" in those other passages. Your ideology demands that you disregard Paul's clear passage and restrict the "many" in those passages to the elect only. [And I disagree that you have in fact "shown" from the "context" of the (alleged) "ONE" case that "all" is restricted to "all without distinction" as opposed to "all without exception". Nice try, though [​IMG] ]

I don't think that's my job at all. As I pointed out, you're assuming the many (which is an indefinite number) is restricted to the elect only. No where is that indicated in the context of those verses.

many: adj consisting of or amounting to a large but indefinite number (Webster)

That's the plain meaning of "many". Now the burden is on you to demonstrate that "many" really means only "some"...

some:adj one indeterminate quantity quantity, portion, or number as distinguished from the rest

...or only a "few"....

few: adj 1: consisting of or amounting to only a small number 2: at least some but indeterminately small in number 3: a special limited number

Wow, if there was ever a definition to describe the elect it would be the 3rd listed for "few" :eek:

In fact look at Matthew 22:14...
    "For many are called, but few are chosen."

Now, tell me--if the "few" here are the elect, then who are the "many"? [​IMG]

Indeed. [​IMG]

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It does not say that God has willed that none should perish. That would mean everyone would be saved. It says that God is not wanting that any should perish -- his desire is that none should perish.

Just as Jesus in Matt 23:37 expresses that he would have gathered the "children" of Jerusalem in his arms, but they were not willing, so God would gather all of us to Him but all are not willing to believe. If Jesus can express a desire that is not satisfied, so can God.

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

So what you're saying is that God does not have the ability to bring about that which He desires?

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what you're saying is that God does not have the ability to bring about that which He desires? </font>[/QUOTE]Well, if free will is true, then the argument is actually quite logical. God could hold two semi-opposite desires: He could desire to have all men come to him, and He could desire to have all who do come come out of free will. Then the question is, "which desire is stronger?"

The Arminian theologian would say that the desire for free will is greater.

The universalist might say that the desire to save all is greater, so God saves people regardless.

Another universalist might say that both are equal, so God allows an infinite number of chances, even after death to come to Him.

Of course, the Calvinist would say there is no free will, rendering the discussion irrelevant. [​IMG]

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So what you're saying is that God does not have the ability to bring about that which He desires? </font>[/QUOTE]I am saying exactly what I said: It is clear from Jesus' statement that he did not force Jerusalem to embrace him as savior though he wept over the fact they rejected him and he desired them to accept him. I do not think God forces us to believe him, either.

If God wills something to happen, it will happen. But the passage is not saying that God wills that all men will be saved, but that He desires it.

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

[​IMG]

I think you know this, of course, but to make it clear to others, whether or not Calvinists deny "free will" depends on how it is defined. Calvinists believe that man wills according to his nature.

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I do not think God forces us to believe Him, either. I think it is simply the inevitable result of being reborn.

Well, we certainly agree on that.

Actually it doesn't say either. It simply says that He wanted to gather Jerusalem's children under His wing. You have extended that to mean He desires that all men be saved. You're injecting the Arminian interpretation of 2 Peter 3:9 into the above verse from Matthew.

Talking of which, let's look at that verse:

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

The word in the greek translated as "willing" denotes "intention" not "desire". Note the same word in the same form here:

Acts 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

If, as the Arminian interprets this verse, God does not intend for any [without exception] to perish, and any perish, then God is not sovereign and cannot accomplish His will.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "And Can not accomplish His WILL??"

"God is not WILLING that any should perish" 2Peter 3:9.

Question: "Can God accomplish His WILL"?

The Calvinist statement is often that IF He is not WILLING that any perish - but then some perish -- then He is not ABLE to accomplish His WILL and it is a problem of His not being powerful enough to force those He wills to be saved - to choose life.

But that is a Calvinist answer within a Calvinist model. IT "assumes" Calvinism rather than "testing Arminianism".

In Christ,

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So then "ONE" would suffice to meet the claim.

How amazing. Although it appears to encompass ALL - it is restricted such that even saving ONE - (or in this case WANTING to save ONE) accomplishes ALL that the text claims as long as that ONE is selectable out of ALL the world without distinction.

Indeed. That is the one that fits the wording that is actually in the text. It is the most apparent and most consistent meaning - given the text and its context.

In Christ,

Bob

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You changed my words around. I did not say that in Matt 23.37 Jesus said he wanted all men to be saved. I said that he expressed a desire for something that was not fulfilled, so God could do the same, as he does in 2 Pet 3.9. Jesus said that he wanted to gather Jerusalem's children (the Jews) but they were not willing. I did not say this was Jesus saying he wanted all men to be saved.

These are the meanings of the word rendered "willing" in 2 Pet 3.9:

On my Gramcord program (a program giving the Hebrew and Greek, meanings of words, Strong's numbers, does parsing, etc.) it translates 2 Pet 3:9 as

The ESV also uses "wishing."

It is clear from the context that it is saying that God is desiring that not any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

If it is God willing, in the sense of God willing something to pass, that none should perish, then that would be universalism.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

With all due respect to your Gramcord program, the definition "desire" is not the primary one for the word bouvlomai.

And if you actually do a word study on this exact form of the word, you'll find that it is used in cases where something is willfully intended, not just desired.

bouvlomai
    middle voice of a primary verb

boo'-lom-ahee
    Verb

Definition

1. to will deliberately, have a purpose, be minded of

2. willing as an affection, to desire

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So if it means that God is intending it, then you are a Calvinist universalist. :D

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, sometimes it means what you have in #1 up there, but just as many times it means desire.

This same word is used as wishing, wanting or desiring in
    Matt 15.15
    Acts 5.33, 18.15, 18.27, 19.30, 22.30, 23.28, 25.20, 25.22, 27.43, 28.18
    2 Cor 1.15, 1.17
    Ph 1.12
    1 Ti 2.8
    Titus 3.8
    Pm 1.13
    He 6.17
    James 4.4
    3 Jn 1.10
    Jude 1.5

The Word Study Greek-English NT has 2 Pet 3:9 as God "not wanting any to perish."

With so many scholars and translators using "wishing" and "wanting" here for this word, why should your insistence on it meaning otherwise be accepted? Are you right and all these scholars and translators wrong?

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Since some translations (such as the KJV and NKJV, Darby and Wycliffe) translate it as "willing" then someone is right and someone is wrong.

Does it surprise you that something could be wrong with a translation? I can easily point to errors and mistranslations in various versions. It is not all that uncommon. One reason translations get some things wrong is because those translations are ultimately controlled by editors and publishers -- people who may have a different agenda than the translators themselves. The NIV is particularly suspect in this regard. The KJV is often more reliable, but it is also often LESS reliable, due to other translation problems.

But this is all beside the point. Ignore the fact that "willing" is the preferred definition. Translate the word as willing or wishing if that's what you will or wish.

The more important thing about 2 Peter 3:9 is the context. The context tells you to whom the "any" refers, which is the important thing about that verse.

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any [of us, the beloved] should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

In other words, God will take as long as it takes to bring in ALL of the elect. He will not bring things to a close until His entire will in this regard is accomplished.

15. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

I am saying exactly what I said: It is clear from Jesus' statement that he did not force Jerusalem to embrace him as savior though he wept over the fact they rejected him and he desired them to accept him. I do not think God forces us to believe him, either.
    [/QUOTE]

Hi Marcia -
    Just a wee note on Matt.23:37. It helps greatly to realize that Jesus was addressing these words to the scribes & pharisees (8 times in this passage we find, "Woe unto you, Scribes & Pharisees, etc.) Did the general population of Jerusalem reject Christ? No, they followed Him around in droves so much so that it was difficult for Him to get some rest. But who was it that turned the crowds against Christ? It was those to whom He was speaking. "How often would I have gathered THY children . . . . . . , but YE would not." (see Jn.9:22).
    Christ is not talking about the rejection of the Gospel by individuals, but about the fact that Jerusalem's religious leaders stoned the prophets, etc, and led the people into judgement rather than into safety.

- Paul

16. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Ian, nice try but it doesn't explain away your problem. Who wants to gather the children? God does.
    Who doesn't want them to be gathered? Men.

God wants something that men prevent by their desire. Regardless of whether you believe this verse is speaking about the gospel or not really is a secondary issue. Plus, look at what you stated:

"Christ is not talking about the rejection of the Gospel by individuals, but about the fact that Jerusalem's religious leaders stoned the prophets, etc, and led the people into judgement rather than into safety."

You don't think there is any connection with stoning prophets, killing apostles and crucifing the Christ to rejecting their message? Come on! You are desperate to avoid the clear meaning of this passage.

17. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Skandelon,

You are right. The Jews/Israelites were the ones who killed/destroyed the Lord's messengers to the people. Jesus was gathering His chicks to Himself but 'they would not submit.' Thus the freedom of the will to reject Christ and His plan of salvation. [Matthew 23:37; John 5:40; Acts 7:51] This blows a hole bigger than the one made on our ship, the Cole, compliments of the Iraqi look alikes. This also destroys the erring view of Irressistible Grace. Many millions of people have resisted His grace and hope of Heaven, to their own eternal demise.

Our friends should study the word, 'house;' it does not mean a framed building. Because of the rejection of Christ by His people, He dispersed the Israelites and destroyed the Temple in 70 A.D. The 'house' refers to the whole Israelite people of His land, [Ezekiel 36:20f] the seed of Abraham.

Another refer for study about the 'house' is found in Ezekiel 43:10 & Hebrews 3:2,3,4,5,6.

Berrian, Th.D.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is Calvinism that says that "IF God is NOT WILLING that any should perish but some do - then God is not ABLE to accomplish His WILL".

Or were you suggesting that the Calvinists were speaking Greek at the time and using two different Greek words?

Or is this a NKJV is in error using "my" translation instead argument? I am thinking that even NASB's more superstitious "Wishing" does not help your case.

In Christ,

Bob

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That is correct. I happen to believe that the word should be translated "willing" not "wishing", but both support the Calvinist position -- one simply supports it more strongly (willing).

As I pointed out above, the context tells you to whom the ANY and ALL refer.

8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any [of us, the beloved] should perish, but that all [of us, the beloved] should come to repentance.

In other words, God will take as long as it takes to bring in ALL of the elect. He will not bring things to a close until His entire will in this regard is accomplished. One can still translate the word "wishing" and it works perfectly for Calvinism - it's simply not as strong a statement.

This only becomes a problem for Arminianism if the word is properly translated "willing", because Arminians want the "any" and "all" to refer to "any person without exception" and "all people without exception". In that case, if God is not willing that any without exception perish, and someone DOES perish, then God is not powerful enough to accomplish His own will.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That is correct. I happen to believe that the word should be translated "willing" not "wishing", but both support the Calvinist position -- one simply supports it more strongly (willing).

As I pointed out above, the context tells you to whom the ANY and ALL refer.

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any [of us, the beloved] should perish, but that all [of us, the beloved] should come to repentance.

In other words, God will take as long as it takes to bring in ALL of the elect. He will not bring things to a close until His entire will in this regard is accomplished. One can still translate the word "wishing" and it works perfectly for Calvinism - it's simply not as strong a statement.

This only becomes a problem for Arminianism if the word is properly translated "willing", because Arminians want the "any" and "all" to refer to "any person without exception" and "all people without exception". In that case, if God is not willing that any without exception perish, and someone DOES perish, then God is not powerful enough to accomplish His own will.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I disagree; the context does not make it clear or even indicate that God is talking about the elect with "any."

Just because God is addressing believers does not mean he is referring to believers or the elect in v. 9 with the word "any." If God had meant the elect, he could have said, "not wanting any of you to perish," or "not wanting the elect to perish," but he didn't. He said "any."

2 Pet 3.9 as meaning "any" is supported by 1 Tim 2.3-4: