1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God Will Do What God Will Do

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, May 13, 2006.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "For He says to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs but on God who has mercy" -Rom 9:15-16

Verses like those quoted above bring howls of objections from those who are uncomfortable with the Sovereignty of God. They want a god they can control, a god who is dependent upon them. However Scripture knowns no such god. The God of Scripture is in control of all things (Ps 103:19). In fact Scripture teaches that God only does what God wants to do. That's right...God does what He wants to do!

The Scriptures say:

"For I know that the LORD is great
    And that our LORD is above all gods.
    Whatever the LORD pleases, He does.
    In heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deeps." -Psalm 135:5-6

"Declaring the end from the beginning,
    And from ancient times things which have not been done,
    Saying, My purpose will be established,
    And I will accomplish all My good pleasure;
    Calling a bird of prey from the east,
    The man of My purpose from a far country.
    Truly I have spoken; truly I will bring it to pass.
    I have planned it, surely I will do it" -Isaiah 46:10-11

"Many plans are in a man's heart,
    But the counsel of the LORD will stand" Proverbs 19:21

"The counsel of the LORD stands forever,
    The plans of His heart from generation to generation" Psalm 33:11

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,
    just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him.
    In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved." Ephesians 1:3-6

So what does God do? God does His will (ie...what He wants to do). It is not our job to object to His will, plan, and purposes. Our job is to seek His will...

"Pray, then, in this way:
    Our Father who is heaven,
    Hallowed be Your Name.
    Your Kingdom come.
    Your will be done,
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    And do not lead us into temptation, but deliever us from evil.
    For Yours is the Kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen." Matthew 6:9-13

Amen.
    Martin.

2. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Past............Present................Future.

With God sitting outside the frame of time, he can see both ends of the time frame, the past, present, future, and like playing "checkers", he can reach down into the past, present, future and move one little thing, make any "adjustment" he desires, and man would never know the difference.

Take the "book of life" for instances, God seeing the end from the beginning could have wrote all the names, but he also could have waited until we were saved in the present, future, reached into the past, wrote our name in the book and for all we know, it was written there from the beginning.

Ya see, God can change not only the future but also the past, if he choses, and man would never know the difference.

I see comments made all the time that:

God Can't,

1. change his mind
    2. his sovereign will
    3. predestine plan
    4. the past, present, future
    5. have a book published, precisely according to his wording.

Man's doctrines attempts to explain God within the frame work of time, which can't, because God is outside time.

Any doctrine that, "states/implies" directly/by default, that God can't clearly isn't one of understanding or the "truth".

There are "NO RESTRICTIONS" on God.

3. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Another point to remember is the context of God's remark . . . which was Moses request that he himself be blotted out of God's grace in order that the nation of Israel be saved.

God was refusing to do that, God was insisting we can't pull a stunt like that, instead, He stubbornly continued to extend grace to Moses.

And of course we all see that was the right thing for God to do in that case, our judgement lines right up with His in that case . . .

and I don't think we can extend that verse and say God is claiming he'll save and damn people ARBITRARILY. He has reasons that we will all understand and approve of on that day.

4. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I just got done howling. It felt pretty good.

But I still don't seem to want a god I can control, and who is dependent on me.

Does that mean I wasted all that howling?

5. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Dunno, was it fun? Sometimes howling for the sake of howling can be rewarding.

6. whatever

whatever New Member

I just got done howling. It felt pretty good.

But I still don't seem to want a god I can control, and who is dependent on me.

Does that mean I wasted all that howling?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Probably just means that he wasn't talking about you in that snippet, but any howling against scripture is wasted howling.