1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God will wipe out all life on earth

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Nov 25, 2006.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    When does this happen in your escatology? The Lake of Fire?

The "ruins removed" along with all life on earth.

Zeph 1

2"I will completely remove all things
    From the face of the earth," declares the LORD.
    3"I will remove man and beast;
    I will remove the birds of the sky
    And the fish of the sea,
    And the ruins along with the wicked;
    And I will cut off man from the face of the earth," declares the LORD.

#1 BobRyan, Nov 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2006
  2. ex-nihilo

ex-nihilo New Member

Hi Bob,

This would almost have to be related to the point in time after Christ returns and after the 1000 year period thereafter. However, this during this point in time the heavens and earth are burned up and recreated so since this passage does not mention the earth as well as the heavens being recreated, I'm not sure.....very interesting though.

Your thoughts??

J.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some commentaries...

Zephaniah 1 -
    This chapter begins with denouncing God’s judgments against Judah and Jerusalem,
    Zep_1:1-3. Idolaters, and sinners of several other denominations, are then particularly threatened; and their approaching visitation enlarged on, by the enumeration of several circumstances which tend greatly to heighten its terrors, Zep_1:4-18. - Clarke

After the title of the book, Zep_1:1, follows the Lord's threatening of the land of Judea with an utter consumption of it, and of all creatures in it, for the sins of its inhabitants, especially their idolatry and apostasy, Zep_1:2, and this is represented under the notion of a sacrifice, to which guests are bid; and which even princes, and those of the blood royal, should not escape, nor ministers of state, or such who filled their masters' houses with violence, Zep_1:7. Some particular places are mentioned, where there should be a great noise of crying and howling, and especially Jerusalem, which should be diligently searched, and its goods become a booty, and its houses desolate, Zep_1:10. This destruction is spoken of as near at hand, and is described as very terrible and distressing, Zep_1:14 and as inevitable; nothing would be able to deliver from it, Zep_1:18. - Gill

Judgment upon All the World, and upon Judah in Particular - Zephaniah 1

The judgment will come upon all the world (
    Zep_1:2, Zep_1:3), and will destroy all the idolaters and despisers of God in Judah and Jerusalem (Zep_1:4-7), and fall heavily upon sinners of every rank (Zep_1:8-13). The terrible day of the Lord will burst irresistibly upon all the inhabitants of the earth (Zep_1:14-18). - Keil & Delitzsch

After the title of the book (Zep_1:1) here is, I. A threatening of the destruction of Judah and Jerusalem, an utter destruction, by the Chaldeans (Zep_1:2-4). II. A charge against them for their gross sin, which provoked God to bring that destruction upon them (Zep_1:5, Zep_1:6); and so he goes on in the rest of the chapter, setting both the judgments before them, that they might prevent them or prepare for them, and the sins that destroy them, that they might judge themselves, and justify God in what was brought upon them. 1. They must hold their peace because they had greatly sinned (Zep_1:7-9). But, 2, They shall howl because the trouble will be great. The day of the Lord is near, and it will be a terrible day (Zep_1:10-18). Such fair and timely warning as this did God give to the Jews of the approaching captivity; but they hardened their neck, which made their destruction remediless. - Henry

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think you are right about this being after the 1000 years -

Christ said "the meek shall inherit the earth" - so I suppose it could be the renovation point where the old earth structures are being destroyed.

But this text shows " no anything alive on earth" during this period of time.

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

right before the thousand years, when Satan roams the earth and nobody is there to tempt... for a thousand years

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The other thread deals with a time when corpses remain and ruined cities remain -- but "There is no man"

However this text points to a time when even the ruins are gone -

2"I will completely remove all things
    From the face of the earth," declares the LORD.
    3"I will remove man and beast;
    I will remove the birds of the sky
    And the fish of the sea,
    And the ruins along with the wicked;
    And I will cut off man from the face of the earth," declares the LORD.

Not only is man cut off - but all fish - all birds all life AND even the ruins are removed. Not a trace of any civilation and not a single form of life.

In Christ,

Bob

7. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

The footnote from the NKJV Nelson Study Bible regarding Zephaniah 1:2-3 states: utterly consume: the message of Zephaniah begins with a pronouncement of universal judgment (see Gen. 6-8). These words not only introduce the particular judgment that would be pronounced upon Judah (v. 4), but they also speak of the final judgment that will usher in the kingdom of God on earth (see Rev. 19). Stumbling blocks here refers to idolatry, or substitutes for God in the life and affections of a person. Because there is nothing in the universe that really may be compared to the Creator (see Is. 40:25), God abhors all forms of idolatry. Says the Lord: This phrase added gravity to the prophetic oracle and assured the hearer of the source of the message. :saint:

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Fish of the sea?

The ruins "along with the wicked"?

9. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Plenty folks there to tempt. Otherwise what is the point of his roaming about?

10. godsdaughter

godsdaughter New Member

Question here...

Has anyone read "Jerusalem Countdown"?

If not, it will truly wake up up to events happening currently and those to come.

God Bless You,

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Rev 19 we are told that some are killed by fire and brimstone and "the REST are killed by the sword that comes from his mouth" that leaves no one - so in Rev 19 we have the feast of the birds.

Rev 19
    20And the beast was seized, and with him the false prophet who performed the signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image; these two were thrown alive into the lake of fire which burns with brimstone.
    21And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.

In Rev 20 Satan is bound in the bottomless pit - I am not sure where in Rev 20 you see him "roaming about" -- though I am sure he probably does roam on this desolate planet at that time.

in Christ,

Bob