1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God worked powerfully in our "DiscipleNow weekend"

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by rbell, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

...held this past weekend.

Some praises:
    • I'm not a numbers guy...but we had the most we've ever had (that means the most folks ever sat under good teaching, participated in worship, did ministry, and enjoyed good biblical fellowship).
    • One of the guys I've been investing in for the past year accepted Christ this weekend (!!!). You wanna know if it's genuine? A hint: He wrote me a thank-you letter this weekend. (What 9th-grade guys do THAT without pressure from mom?) Pending follow-up this evening, I think the number of salvations will double. (!!!)
    • Several "re-commitments." A quick explanation: WHen someone tells me, "I want to be a better Christian," I like it. But when someone tells me, "there are five people I'm supposed to witness to this next week...here are there names:" or something like that--a specific commitment--that fires me up big-time. Several of those type of commitments were made--and we can follow up on these and really hold the person accountable.
    • On the Saturday afternoon of D'Now, we do ministry work. Among our projects this weekend:
      • Gathered over 1,500 cans of food for local food pantry. Delivered, stocked, and cleaned at that facility.
      • Painted a youth crisis center for a local ministry in inner-city Montgomery.
      • Raked the yards of four of our widows. The pile of leaves was 5 feet high, and 30 feet long.
      • Cleaned and prepped buildings that a local ministry uses to house Ukranian orphans.
      • Cleaned up at a local ministry that houses kids whose parents are incarcerated. Also, got to play/spend time/minister to those kids. (Yes, those are a lot--but we had about 120 folks available to work...so we needed all those spots!)
    • Had an answered prayer of another sort: The week of D'Now, I lost homes, leaders, and students, because of a flu outbreak around. God saw to it that we had enough replacements...and a couple of kids that we didn't expect to recover in time broke their fevers, and made it for much of the weekend.
    The difference? A couple of years back, I realized the stupidity of my approach: recruit helpers/hosts/leaders...and then, almost with an audible sigh, saying, "We'll, if you can't do anything else, you can pray." Dumb approach.

Now, that's the first thing we get done. I think God is honored by that. Thanks to all of you who prayed! Please keep praying for those who made commitments--that they will make this relationship a priority, and act accordingly--Rbell

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I've had youth weekends where similar moves of God were evident.

One, in particular, was after a rough week of Centrifuge camp, where the enemy was having his way. I spent most of my time chasing down youth who were pairing off in the woods...

The leaders began praying in earnest for a move of God and it showed up in His timing after it seemed like the entire week would be a bust. And when He did show up, all I can say is WOW! God be glorified, sins were confessed, souls were saved, and a good many youth felt a divine call to enter some form of ministry as a life vocation.

Fruits? Almost every one of the ones called into vocational ministry are now serving! Those who were saved are still walking with God (the ones I can track), and others who got a taste of ministering to their peers are involved in doing likewise now. That was almost 15 years ago, and the fruits are still evident, even in me...

3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Really cool. Thanks for sharing. I think it's great how the end of the week is used for "hands on" ministry -- both for those within and without the church. Times like this are invaluable for teens.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

People ask me, "What's the most fulfilling thing you exprience in student ministry?"

You just described it...seeing kids lving out the commitments they make--years down the road.

Don't get me wrong: This weekend was great. But to watch the kids down the road live it out, and be faithful in the long haul? SO much more so.

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Amen and Amen!

True godly transformation always includes works of the gospel that are lasting!