1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodMen

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by teachermom, Mar 15, 2007.

1. teachermom

teachermom New Member

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Brad Stine has always spoken very frankly, bluntly...I'm sure his bluntness will be too much for some.

I'm all for men "stepping up" in the church. And I'm all for men understanding that Jesus Christ was (is) the epitome of what being a Godly Man is all about.

I'm all about re-emphasizing that meekness...an oft-forgotten quality among Christians in general, has nothing to do with weakness, but rather is immense power under control.

Will this movement do everything exactly the way I agree it should be done? Nope. And there are probably some here that will condemn this movement...there are a few here that always do.

But like I said...here's hoping that God will use Stine and others to encourage men to "man up" and follow God...and be the leaders through example, initiative, and servanthood He has called them to be.

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

If we want to reach more people for Christ, we are going to have to change the way we do things. I'm not saying to compromise the Gospel, by no means. If you take a close look at church today, you will see more women than men. What you see lacking is young men.
    If we want to try to get more people into church activity, then we need to make church more attractive to younger men. We need more interest in what young men like. I am a sovereign grace preacher/teacher. That does not change the fact that God is pleased to use means to bring people to faith. We should be willing to use all sorts of means to bring people to learn about Jesus..... as long as its not ungodly.
    I'm sure i'll probably get flamed by some of my calvinist friends, and probably non calvinist. Its ok... i'm man enough to take it........lol.
    The sad fact is that there are too many preachers who seem a little weak in the wrist. Some have even been caught chasing the boys. That is too sad. We need more men in the ministry. There are already too many that sound like some of the folks we preach will not inherit the kingdom of God. Know what I mean?

4. reformedbeliever

Ok, you can let me have it now........ just when you do... sound like a man and not a sissy! :laugh: Unless of course you are a woman.... and then by all means..... sound like a woman. :godisgood:

5. amity

amity New Member

I am on another listserver where an excerpt of one of these productions was posted, and it wound up being censored for profanity. I did not see it before it was hatcheted, but I am assuming it was for what some euphemistically call "manly language."

If that is the case, down with stereotypes! :tear: Using profanity is no way to keep men in the church.

6. reformedbeliever

Agreed. :thumbs:

7. reformedbeliever

I'm wondering if it was censored because of the use of such language that is just another word for a word used in the bible? As pointed out Jesus used the word dung. There is another four letter word in English that says the same thing. Words used in their context, not used in course language, should not be censored. Should we say poo poo in the English?

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right here, bro.

Unfortunately, filtering software are not context-conscious.:wavey:

9. amity

amity New Member

Someone obviously went back and edited the post because of complaints. I read the complaints, the original post was essentially gone. Is it allowed to post a link here if I can find it? It was on Sharper Iron.

BTW, my opinion on translation issues would be to use scriptural language. If the Bible you are using says "dung", use "dung." It seems doubtful that Christ used an expletive when He said it originally doesn't it? Words in English have changed over time, too. I wouldn't know what to do about "p!sseth against a wall." No doubt that was a polite expression in 1611. How do modern translations handle those passages, I wonder?

Edit to add: Well, I checked random modern translations of all the "p!sseth" verses, and they seem to have sidestepped the issue entirely by translating as "every" "everyone" "that whole bunch" etc.

#9 amity, Mar 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2007
  10. reformedbeliever

2 Kings 18:27. But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

Living Bible 27. But the Assyrian general replied, ``Has my master sent me to speak only to you and to your master? Hasn't he sent me to the people on the walls too? For they are doomed with you to eat their own excrement and drink their own urine!''

11. reformedbeliever

We work with exchange students from all over the world. Language and the use of is very interesting. It is easy to be embarrased until you teach them that there are certain words we don't use in everyday language in America.
    The usual answer to that is "why". lol

12. teachermom

teachermom New Member

13. A2J

A2J New Member

Sounds like GodMen is the new Promise Keepers for the 21st century.

I believe more men do need to step up to the plate, and take their place in ministry, or leadership in their homes.

The church I attend is currently running about 60% women / 40% men, and other than the pastorship, most of the 'ministries' are run/staffed by women. I'm not saying that the men need to kick the women out of their positions, but more men (and I'll include myself in this statement) do need to get involved.

AJ

14. amity

amity New Member

This thread has taken a really odd turn, now hasn't it?

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
    So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that p!sseth against the wall.

Same verse (New Life Version)
    May God do the same to David and more, if I leave until morning as much as one male alive of all who belong to him."

1 Samuel 25:34 (King James Version)
    For in very deed, as the LORD God of Israel liveth, which hath kept me back from hurting thee, except thou hadst hasted and come to meet me, surely there had not been left unto Nabal by the morning light any that p!sseth against the wall.

Same verse (Young's Literal Translation)
    And yet, Jehovah liveth, God of Israel, who hath kept me back from doing evil with thee, for unless thou hadst hasted, and dost come to meet me, surely there had not been left to Nabal till the light of the morning, of those sitting on the wall.'

1 Kings 14:10 (King James Version)
    Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam him that p!sseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel, and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone.

Same verse (New International Version)
    'Because of this, I am going to bring disaster on the house of Jeroboam. I will cut off from Jeroboam every last male in Israel—slave or free. I will burn up the house of Jeroboam as one burns dung, until it is all gone.

1 Kings 16:11 (King James Version)
    And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that p!sseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.

Same verse (The Message)
    Zimri had no sooner become king than he killed everyone connected with Baasha, got rid of them all like so many stray dogs—relatives and friends alike.

1 Kings 21:21 (King James Version)
    Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that p!sseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,

Same verse (American Standard Version)
    Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will utterly sweep thee away and will cut off from Ahab every man-child, and him that is shut up and him that is left at large in Israel:

2 Kings 9:8 (King James Version)
    For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that p!sseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel:

Same verse (New Living Translation)
    The entire family of Ahab must be wiped out. I will destroy every one of his male descendants, slave and free alike, anywhere in Israel.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not saying there wasn't inappropriate language, but I'm like teachermom...I sure missed it if there was.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

One if the biggest problems I saw when I started pastoring a SBC church was too many men who were willing to let their wives take the lead. I even saw women complaining about that. So with a few men who were stronger we had activities where the men learned to take the lead with their families and it worked. I had never been to a church where men did not take the lead, so I was quite surprised. When I spoke with another pastor he told me that was typical in most Southern Baptist Churches.

17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally I'm all for it. I wish an organization like that would pop up around here. The church's image and the popular idealization of Jesus is so feminine anymore, sometimes it's just weird. I am just not going to sing hymns with the airy vocals of stuff like "I touch his face". Obviously some woman wrote that. That's just one of the many examples if you just open your eyes.

On the other hand, I don't think that Jesus was feminine like alot of women make him out to be. He was a carpenter, he built houses and stuff. When was the last time you have ever seen a feminine wimpy construction worker? You probably haven't. Read the description about Jesus getting mad about the gambling in the temple, he was overflowing with furious anger and just started tearing the place up. Now, can you imagine a wimpy feminine construction worker doing that? No, you can't. Jesus was manly, he was a master of scathing sarcasm, he was powerful, and full of passion. So, why is it that men are often looked down upon for doing the same things? It's dumb. Men do not want to sing your wimpy feminine praise songs. Men do not want to see flowers everywhere. Men have a rough primal side that should be embraced in a good way and not hidden as if it's something to be embarassed about.

Plus... and here's the good part... we don't have to ask permission from the ladies to feel this way. Just deal with it. We don't stick our noses in your business when you ladies go on women only retreats, so why are some women all up-in-arms about this group? Like I said, I'm all for it.