1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

godparents (lower case intended)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rolfe, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came from the old Lutheran tradition of a child having a godfather and godmother (as deference to Our Lord, lower case) designated at a child's baptism. The idea was that the child would have other adults to act as mentors (both spiritually and temporally) as he matures, as well as someone to look to his upbringing should his parents die.

I have seen, in the Baptist churches that I have belonged to, none of this.

My question: What is your opinion of this traditional practice?

Note: This is not about infant baptism.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question. I have declined being a godparent for one of my friend's child and I've accepted being a godparent for another one of my friend's child.

In the first case I had to pledge to mentor the child in Roman Catholicism, so I declined. In the second case my friend is a conservative Missouri Synod Lutheran and I was instructed to bring the child up in the way of the Lord.

It's tough to separate being a godparent from infant baptism, because witnessing the child's infant baptism is typically the first action a person takes as a godparent.

I think it is somewhat curious that evangelicals don't have the godparent tradition. I think it might be a good thing for us to have it. Instead we typically do baby dedications in front of the church and the pastor charges the church membership to mentor the child in the ways of the Lord. I guess that is the Baptist answer for godparenting.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, in this Baby Dedication script recommended by Lifeway (Southern Baptist), the congregation chants "We will help you," "We will help you," etc. after each vow by the parents :

http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/files/lwcF_PDF_ServiceForBabyDedication_Wagoner.pdf

"Leader: God has entrusted you with a magnificent responsibility.

Parents: We lovingly accept this responsibility.

Congregation: We will help you.

Leader: God has given you the gift of life.

Parents: We will protect and nurture this gift.

Congregation: We will help you.

Leader: God expects you to teach a child through the example of a godly life.

Parents: We will strive to live lives consistent with God’s Word before our child.

Congregation: We will provide godly examples before the child as well.

Leader: A child is like a clean slate: it knows no right or wrong.

Parents: We dedicate ourselves to the teaching of the ways of Christ to our child.

Congregation: We will assist you."

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerry Falwell's refuge for wayward girls uses the term. Presumably the pregnant teens get mentoring galore there (house parents, case workers, psychiatrists, etc.):

Liberty Godparent Home

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have seen variations of this, most of them not scripted. Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the practice either way.

6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone seen a congregation as a body act the part of a godparent to a child dedicated by its parents? I mean in a mentoring sense.

(Not sure that I worded my question quite right.)

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

My oldest godchild is in his mid twenties. We are about as Southern Baptist as you can get. I'm also the godparent for my youngest nephew and a handful of others.

The relationship has always been one of if anything happened to their parents, I would be responsible for raising them. But as their parents are still with us, praise the Lord, mine has been one of acting as "co-parent" and the one who can wear their behinds out when they just don't want to listen to anyone else. :laugh:

I also serve as a major influence in discipling them and helping them to spiritually mature after they have come to faith in Christ.

Before they come to faith, I stay busy pointing them towards Christ.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No reflection on anyone here!

Being a former Catholic of Italian descent however I can't disconnect the masterpiece scene in Coppala's "godfather" (not sure which one) depicting don Vito Corleone as he became the godfather to one of his own family children and the ritual promises were made to renounce satan and his works interspersed with the documented violence of the his past (and possibly future) deeds as a Mafia lord.

I guess the message is - be careful who you choose as a "godparent".

HankD

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Hank that was a great scene. It was near the end of the first Godfather, but if I recall correctly it was Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) who was renouncing Satan while his thugs were assassinating rival gang members.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it was a scene which beautifully caught the mind set of Romish theology, the 1000 meter stare of Al Pacino during the ritual while saying "I do renounce them" was brilliant as well.
    Thanks for the correction.

HankD