1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gods and Generals

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Johnv, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hey everyone!

I am going tonight to see "Gods and Generals". I've been anticipating its release for the last year. It's got a lot of religious overtones, and they're not subtle.

I recommend that everyone go and see it. I'll let y'all know what I think of it after the screening.

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Probably going tonight to see it.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Saw it this afternoon and loved it.

It's pretty long, though. Bring a toothbrush.

4. I don't know if I want to see that movie. I know one way or the other, however excited I get, the South is still going to lose. Not that I am for slavery or the other bad reasons the South fought but it is still depressing to see your side of the country get stomped into the ground by the other side of the country. [​IMG] :confused:

5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

CD,
    Actually, the South won most of the battles and the North lost more soldiers than the South did. It is still good that the Union prevaled, slavery was a horrible thing and the preservation of our Union has benefited all.

6. Jeptha

Jeptha New Member

Its one of the only movies I'd encourage others to see.

I loved it. Though it does not fully portray the man, Thomas Jackson also known as Stonewall. It does however at the least convey the he was a devout man of God and that he was a true warrior. (He would never have liked the name of the movie.)

My wife and I are reading together, 'Stonewall Jackson' by Robertson. It is outstanding, should any one want a more conclusive portrait of the man, thats the book.

I think Robert E Lee, played by Duvall, was in reality, much more intelligent than the movie portrays.

The movie did an outstanding job in relating the South's vantage point at the time of the war. It also expressed the why and need of the North to impose it's will on the south.

Above all, it clearly defined the agony of a war between the States. And I hope to see it again real soon.

Jeptha

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Slavery was a dying institution and mechanization and economics would have brought it to an end without the loss of hundreds of thousands of lives. Also, the Confederacy had banned the further purchasing of slaves.

But we know there was a lot more to why the Yankees would not allow the Confederacy to leave the Union. If it was mainly about slavery, why was slavery not outlawed in the U.S. Constitution until after the War Between the States ended?

Also, what would you consider the "the other bad reasons the South fought"? :confused: