1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God's civil law for today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Cermonial/Civil aw was just given t Israel by God, and we are under the obligation to obey the Moral Law of God, but now we do it tin the empoering from/of the Holy Spirit in us, and not to keep Law for salvation, but to please God and to enjoy right living...

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is another way of putting it: We are not under the law, we don't need the law because we have the indwelling Holy Spirit to lead and guide us.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Galatians 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Icon you can't have it both ways, You can't dismiss or change one commandment just because you don't want to keep the Sabbath. According to the law if you don't keep the sabbath (the seventh day, NOT the 1st day) you are subject to death.

Here is another one, see if you break it.

Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

Deuteronomy 27:15 Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and putteth it in a secret place. And all the people shall answer and say, Amen.

in ancient days Israel's coinage (shekels) had NO IMAGES imprinted on them because the law forbade images.

Check your wallet and pockets - Have any dollars and/or coins with images on them?
    If so you have broken one of the ten commandments. You are in BIG trouble.

In fact even pictures as well as images are forbidden by God under the law and are to be destroyed:

Numbers 33:52 Then ye shall drive out all the inhabitants of the land from before you, and destroy all their pictures, and destroy all their molten images, and quite pluck down all their high places:

Then there are the 613 mitzvouth which are included under the law:

No pork, shellfish, rabbits, catfish...

Deuteronomy 27:26 Cursed be he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them. And all the people shall say, Amen.

Galatians 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

HankD

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We now people of the Holy Spirit, and Jesu kept the Law, and the Spiri Himself provides us means to live as we ought!

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Jon C,

Yes...I am not speaking of the law as a principle for salvation.
    I believe all law is an expansion of the ten commandments...which existed before Mt Sinai....
    I believe LOVE IS A FULFILLING OF THE LAW.......All ten.
    Under Moses....the 10 were expanded throughout Deuteronomy and Leviticus.....
    Under Christ....all ten are expanded in NT precepts, which include many OT law quotes....

So I am exploring this "expansion".....My basic premise is...Christians are not "lawless" but rather law keepers.
    The heathen live as "lawless" ....but being fallen Image bearers, still cling to remnants of the 10 commandments, even if somewhat skewed. Mans laws are a distorted remnant of the original 10.

So back to the OP.....is it up to the redeemed to suggest and work to implement forms or expansions of the 10...in our laws?

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And if we live by the Spirit...what will that look like in real life?
    Can we steal from our neighbor?
    Can we fornicate with our neighbor?
    Can we covet what our neighbor has?
    Can we bear false witness against our neighbor?
    Can we murder our neighbor?

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I agree with you, if someone is suggesting Christians go back under MOSAIC law as a system in the theocracy.

What I am pushing for is.....we are not under Mosaic law as an OT. theocracy, however we are under law to Christ-
    1cor9

20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

So...the Op read in that light might suggest a different conclusion?

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is up to the governments of this world

Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
    5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
    6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
    7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.
    8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
    9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Why don't we need the law? Because if you are indwelt by the Holy Spirit you are capable of agape love and you cant/won't do to your neighbor what the law forbids but not because of the law but because love is greater than and trumps the law.

HankD

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the New Covenant Theology of not being under aw ofMoses, but of Christ!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, for Paul stated we will NOT fulfill the lusts and wants of the sin nature if under control of the Holy Spit!

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes but do we comprehend what Paul is saying here??

He is saying that though he is no longer under the law he will willingly put himself under the law so as to not offend those who are under the law IN ORDER TO LEAD THEM TO CHRIST.

And then to the gentiles as on who is not under the law to win them to Christ. Like sitting down with them and eating "unclean-traif" food (pork chops) in order to SPEAK THE GOSPEL TO THEM.

HankD

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that's where your interest lies right now then go for it. It may be very enlightening, but I think you're going to come to the same conclusion of the Rabbis of Christ's day.

But don't forget that for the sake of our freedom and simplicity that we have in Christ, the NT does the opposite of expanding on the law, it condenses it:

12 All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. Mt 7

8 Owe no man anything, save to love one another: for he that loveth his neighbor hath fulfilled the law.
    9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not covet, and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this word, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
    10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: love therefore is the fulfilment of the law. Ro 13

Even the Rabbinism of Christ's day had condensed the law to it's simplest terms:

“…Rabbinism is never weary of quoting as one of the characteristic sayings of its greatest teacher, Hillel (who, of course, lived before this time), that he had summed up the Law, in briefest compass, in these words: ‘What is hateful to thee, that do not to another. This is the whole Law; the rest is only its explanation…..” Life & Times - Edersheim

....remember also:

8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully,
    9 as knowing this, that law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and unruly, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 1 Tim 1

• Like Like x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Icon.

I think that we agree to a great extent as we both see a connection between the Ten Commandments and God's moral law (perhaps we would even agree that this reflects God's own moral character or nature).

I do agree that we need to implement obedience in our lives (and in the lives of our churches). In 1 Peter, the apostle shows us how the Christian life should look. Since we call on God as Father who judges all deeds impartially then we should conduct ourselves with fear during our time on earth. Peter is saying this to Christians, telling them that they are accountable for their actions. And what rises to the top, not just here but throughout Scripture, is this command to be holy.

Where we may disagree is that rather than viewing the Law as an expansion of the Ten Commandments which were given to Moses, I believe that the Ten Commandments themselves were an expression of God's moral law (based on God's own character). The greatest command - to love God - is the fulfillment of the Law as a whole. So obedience to God's law is not something we do in order to love God, but rather something that is descriptive of loving God.

It may be straining gnats as we end up in the same place, but I do think we see things a bit differently here.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How do you know what lust and sin is?

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Two things here....."what the law forbids"...the law in our heart? What law is that?

Then ...yes romans 13 gets to the issue.....you say it is the governments of this world.
    The OP asks this;
    There are several threads going on about biblical Spirit led evangelism .
    If God blesses these efforts worldwide or even just in the USA . .....would you like to see OT. civil laws instituted?

So what I am asking is....
    1]Do Christians have any part in government?
    2] Should Christians become a part of the legislature?
    3] If in the legislature should they comb through God given laws, and seek to follow the biblical pattern?

Or do we just throw are hands up and settle for what the unbel;ievers suggest for us, Abortion, divorce, sodomite activity being spoken of as lawful,drugs and control sbstances, etc?
    Do we light the proverbial candle, or just curse the darkness?

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do what we can to further righteousness but its like shoveling sand against the tide.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jon C,
    I thought I posted this before, I will try again;
    A friend of mine sent me these notes;
    3. Elaboration of the Decalogue (6:1–26:15).
    i. First Commandment (6:1–11:32).
    ii. Second Commandment (12:1–32).
    iii. Third Commandment (13:1–14:21).
    iv. Fourth Commandment (14:22–16:17).
    v. Fifth Commandment (16:18–18:22).
    vi. Sixth Commandment (19:1–21:23).
    vii. Seventh Commandment (22:1–23:14).
    viii. Eighth Commandment (23:15–24:7).
    ix. Ninth Commandment (24:8–16).
    x. Tenth Commandment (24:17–26:15).

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I agree that the Law continues or expands on the Ten Commandments. The two tablets were written front and back (I suppose that they contained more than the Ten Commandments). But regardless, what I mean is that the Ten Commandments are a part of the Law and a part of that covenant that God renewed in Exodus 34:10.

I believe that the Ten Commandments are an expansion of what it means to love God with all of your heart, soul and strength. This is the purpose for which we are created. This is the purpose to which the opposite is sin. The Ten Commandments (and the whole Law) are, therefore, expressions of God's own nature in covenantal (the Old Covenant) form to Israel.

Apart from the Law and apart from the Ten Commandments, it would still be a sin against God to murder, or steal, or worship an idol, etc. I simply believe that we were never "under the Law" (to include the Ten Commandments), but that we were and are under a greater law of which the Mosaic Law (to include the Ten Commandments) are expressions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC and Iconoclast, would it ever be possible for you to kneel down and bow before an idol of the god Shiva and worship her?

Why not? It's not because of the 10 commandments is it?
    Of course not. It's repulsive to you.

It's because you love the only true God.

You don't need the law to tell you to only worship the LORD your God, the one you love.
    Israel NEEDED the law and they still went after Baalim, Ashteroth, etc, etc...

To need the law implies that there is something desperately wrong with you.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Sheep love green pastures and pure clean water, hogs love the swill trough.

You don't have to make a law to tell sheep to stay out of the cesspool (unless the sheep is a hog in disguise).

:)

HankD

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "kyredneck,

Good thinking Kyred. The danger would be to be like those Rabbi's so much caution needs to be used.

:
    Love to God and neighbor becomes the over riding thought.

Kyred.....I am trying to investigate what might be very obvious....the only Law man has that comes from God are the ten commandments, and gleaning from the expanded theocratic commands.
    Clearly, not all are kept, but I think we can glean from them as it looks like the apostles did....

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul stated that the Law is perfect, shows to us Gd character and what He demands to live, and points us to Jesus, and then we get saved by grace, and walk in the Spirit...

We desire to kee the Law beingin Christ,and the Holy Spirit given to enable to now be able to do that...

We are still uner the Law as a reference point to how sould live, bu not in how to get saved and kept!

Those like SDA use law tha way...