1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's knowledge debate

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

cannot take the Incarnation though as the "proof" that God limits His all knowing attribute thoguh!
    basically, once one understands that that second person of trinity chose to humble and :limit: use of His divine attributes while here on earth, but father/HS still had them in full usuage

ALL claims to have God limited in Hi9s Omscience blows away in the wind!

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets consider yet another verse referenced in the OP, Proverbs 15:3, which says God's eyes are everywhere. So if the future exists in the mind of God, God knows the future exhaustively. But is there a verse or passage that suggests the future exists in its entirety in God's mind. Nope.

Next, does this verse require that God search everywhere, or could He close His eyes, i.e. not choose to aquire some thought, attitude or motive? No it does not. Capacity does not equate with action.

In summary, not one verse or passage supports the contention that God cannot limit His knowledge to suit His purpose, but logically God being all powerful means He can limit His knowledge according to His purpose.

3. JesusFan

ALL of that of the Kenosis of Jesus Christ, by choosing to limit Himself to not using His divine attributes while in the form of a man , and that he chose to live by fully relying on the father and power of the HS...

ALWAYS was/is God, but also a man!

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please Jesusfan, stay on target. Peter said Jesus was all knowing. You say Jesus was not all knowing because He was in the flesh. But then you did not address why all knowing means this in John 21:17, but something else when God in heaven is in view. My position is "all knowing" simply refers to whatever the author had in view, and to claim "everything imaginable" was in view is without support in scripture. As I said before, God being able to know our hidden thoughts and attitudes and beliefs is always in view, not "everything imaginable." Your doctrine is supported by taking stuff out of context.

5. JesusFan

Much of the references in OT especially to God is a type of applying human manners ways understands to God, in order to have us be able to relate at all to Him!

God does NOT have eyes as a man, nor wings, nor hands stretched forth as a man!

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Perhaps the hang up is when I hear the word limited it sounds like they were present all the time while He was in the flesh and He simply chose not to use them. I don't hold that view. Perhaps set aside is a better way for me to understand what happened. He set aside his powers and relied on the Father through the Spirit to carry out His ministry, not that He had all His power while in the flesh and did not use it. And yes He was God and man but relied fully on the Father. I would raise another question here. I said, and we agree that He was God and man. Is he still God and man with His powers restored or just God and no longer God/man?

#106 freeatlast, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  7. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I just read back through these posts as well and personally I have no problem with what JBH28 has argued. Like I said, "in the same way we might argue that God is 3 but 1, we may also argue He limits his ability while remaining unlimited in ability." I think we should all be in agreement on that point.

If Cliff Lee (major league pitcher) is playing ball with his 5 year old, he certainly has the ability to pitch a 98mph fast ball, but he may choose to lob an under-handed soft pitch to give his son a chance to engage. I believe God can and does the same with us. But, to in any way suggest there is a lack of God's ability is equal to suggesting that Cliff Lee didn't have the ability to pitch a major league fast ball simply because of all the examples of his choosing not to do so.

I hope that helps explain what I mean.

8. JesusFan

IF He set them aside though, during His stay on earth no longer was God, and could not be Saviour fo mankind, as ONLY death of God in person of Jesus could atone for Sins of mankind!

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Calvinist: God knows all from beginning to end. He is too big not to know.

The Noncalvinist: God can't know all things. He's too small to know.

10. Skandelon

That is a complete misrepresentation and clearly only intended to inflame. :tear:

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You do understand that we are now way over both our heads in this discussion? That being said, I don't think His power made Him God. satan has power even though of not his own making. I think God's power is what allows Him to exercise who He is and He set that aside to be man yet God, while He relied on the Father to keep Him and His eternal relationship with the Father is why He is God.

#111 freeatlast, Jul 23, 2011
  12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I keep asking this and everyone shies away from it with flimsy excuse.
    How does God know? Does he look down through history to see or does He ordain (causes) every single event including your hiccups.

#112 freeatlast, Jul 23, 2011
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes to both, but there's more.

Time is a part of Creation, part of this physical universe. We experience a moment-by-moment existence. It is not like that in Heaven. Christ is the Alpha and Omega at the "same time." We are seated with Him in heavenly places (Eph. 2:6). We are there "now", though in time we are still waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God.

God sees the future, because He is in the future. He IS the future. And He is in control in the future just as much as He is in control now. Noncalvinists don't believe God is in control now, how can they believe God is in control of the future, or even know it?

#113 Aaron, Jul 23, 2011
  14. Winman

Winman Active Member

Your pitching analogy is sort of how I see it. If Cliff Lee threw a 98 MPH pitch to his 5 year old, he could possibly kill the little fella. And this is what I see in Exodus 33. God spoke to Moses face to face, but he limited his glory, otherwise Moses would have dropped dead.

And Moses seemed to know God had limited his glory, as he asked to see it.

Exo 33:18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.

In the next verse we see God speak of his glory, he calls it "all my goodness"

Exo 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

So, we see God can sort of turn his glory on or off at will. He said he would "make" all his goodness pass before Moses. But he could not allow Moses to see his face in his glory, or else Moses would die.

Exo 33:20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

And so, when we read numerous accounts of God appearing to men in the OT, I believe he limited his glory so that those men would not be killed, he limits his power for a purpose.

And this is speculation on my part, but it might also be possible that God limits his knowledge at times for a purpose.

#114 Winman, Jul 23, 2011
  15. Skandelon

Again, a complete and total misrepresentation. Aaron has studied enough to know better.

Jacobus Arminius, another NON-CALVINISTIC SCHOLAR, wrote: "I consider Divine Providence to be "that solicitous, continued, and universally present inspection and oversight of God, according to which he exercises a general care over the whole world, but evinces a particular concern for all his [intelligent] creatures without any exception, with the design of preserving and governing them in their own essence, qualities, actions, and passions, in a manner that is at once worthy of himself and suitable to them, to the praise of his name and the salvation of believers. In this definition of Divine Providence, I by no means deprive it of any particle of those properties which agree with it or belong to it; but I declare that it preserves, regulates, governs and directs all things and that nothing in the world happens fortuitously or by chance. Beside this, I place in subjection to Divine Providence both the free-will and even the actions of a rational creature, so that nothing can be done without the will of God, not even any of those things which are done in opposition to it; only we must observe a distinction between good actions and evil ones, by saying, that "God both wills and performs good acts," but that "He only freely permits those which are evil." Still farther than this, I very readily grant, that even all actions whatever, concerning evil, that can possibly be devised or invented, may be attributed to Divine Providence Employing solely one caution, "not to conclude from this concession that God is the cause of sin." This I have testified with sufficient clearness, in a certain disputation concerning the Righteousness and Efficacy of Divine Providence concerning things that are evil, which was discussed at Leyden on two different occasions, as a divinity-act, at which I presided. In that disputation, I endeavoured to ascribe to God whatever actions concerning sin I could possibly conclude from the scriptures to belong to him; and I proceeded to such a length in my attempt, that some persons thought proper on that account to charge me with having made God the author of sin. The same serious allegation has likewise been often produced against me, from the pulpit, in the city of Amsterdam, on account of those very theses; but with what show of justice such a charge was made, may be evident to any one, from the contents of my written answer to those Thirty-one Articles formerly mentioned, which have been falsely imputed to me, and of which this was one."

Hopefully now Aaron can address what we actually believe rather than attacking straw men that he has erected in order to inflame and undermine brethren who disagree with him regarding his Calvinistic soteriology.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Jesusfan,

I am sorry but I do not follow your argument. God has eyes everywhere, does mean He has actual physical eyes everywhere, but rather the capacity to apprehend what is going on everywhere. One of the ways those believe in false doctrine us to nullify scripture is to claim it does not mean what it literally says, but is simply illustrating something supernatural. This is valid for hands, wings, arms, eyes, face, front etc, but is not valid for what is being illustrated, ability to know, see, decide, etc.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Skandelon

I think you meant to say "He limits his action while remaining unlimited in ability. If so, then I do agree with that. As I have said over and over He chooses not to know things according to His purpose, and never He cannot know things because of lack of ability.

I have not seen, or perhaps recall, how you addressed that Peter said Jesus was all knowing, yet Jesus did not know the time of His return. I say this demonstrates that when we see the phrase, all knowing, it does not mean everything imaginable, it simply means what the author had in view, such as here Jesus knowing everything about Peter's heart, or perhaps everything about the hearts of those He encountered.

#117 Van, Jul 23, 2011
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the old chestnut of God being in the future because He is outside of time being hoisted yet again. This is simply a fiction, with no scriptural support. What if just like we have "time" in the physical universe, created when the universe was created, God has eternal time, an attribute of His nature. Yes there is no support for that one either, but one conjecture cut out of whole cloth must be as valid as the next. See the problem?

19. JesusFan

So you do not think that jesus was God, the Second person in the Trinity?
    That he was always God, but somehow became God will on earth? that he was 'adopted" by God, and made his Son?

#119 JesusFan, Jul 23, 2011
  20. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No. Jesus is and was always God. I believe He just set aside His powers while here as a man. Not adopted just God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.