1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gods Law - Honor it? Avoid it? Dump it?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Aug 1, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The other thing to notice about the link posted - is that the 10 commandments are exactly the same for non-Catholic Christian and Jews "except" that in the first commandment the Jews ALSO INCLUDE the introductory text to the first commandment about having no other God's before the One True God. The Jews start the first commandment with the "I AM" just before the "Thou shalt".

Hence it is clear that the non-Catholic Christians were taking their numbering from the earlier Jewish numbering.

In Christ,

Bob

2. mioque

mioque New Member

Actually the differences are larger.

Jewish
    I. I am the Lord your G-d who has taken you out of the land of Egypt.
    II. You shall have no other gods but me.

Protestant
    I. You shall have no other gods but me.
    II. You shall not make unto you any graven images.

And are you actually going to answer my question, or are you going to continue to dodge it and talk theology instead?

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are right - Jewish tradition isolates the text with no imperative at all and calls it the first of the ten imperatives of God.

My point was that the text IS THE SAME - for all 3 even though they group it differently. One solution then is to show the verses but leave out the commandment numbering.

We know that Moses called this "the Ten Commandments" but don't have the way "he numbered" it to Ten.

I would prefer the numbering of the Protestant, Greek and reformed churches.

In Christ,

Bob