1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's Name in Vain

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, May 29, 2008.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

When you hear someone in casual conversation say, "Oh my G*d" or
    "Jesus Christ" do you consider that as using God's Name in vain. I always have. Yet, it seems more and more people say things like this without a thought in the world, even children, especially on TV.
    What do you think?

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got to agree with you here.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Absolutely. I can't stand to hear people use God's name in that way. It's disrespectful and certainly not acceptable to speak of the creator God and Savior in such a flippant way.

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

The first church I pastored had some in it that used, "Oh my G*d" alot and I had to preach a message on it. Maybe they continued to say it, but at least not in my presence. :)

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OMG is used quite a lot in South Korea. They think they are being cool to use that blasphemous expression. Some say it simply because a native English speaker is present.

I try to communicate how reprehensible the words are to me as well as God Himself of course.It's a constant barrage against me.It really does grieve me.But it does give me opportunities to explain my faith to the ones doing this.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

The good advice given to me years ago: Don't use it unless you mean it! :thumbs:

Of course, I think the misuse of God's name goes beyond that as well...but cleaning up this way of speaking is a good start.

7. nunatak

nunatak New Member

This may sound weird, but I have never really thought of God as his name. He is God, yes. I refer to him as God. But is that his name? When he talked to Moses, he said his name was I am.

Also, the whole "do we follow the ten commandments, yes or no?" thing. Face it, nowhere in the NT does it forbid us to "speak the name of God, which is ____, in vain." I put the blanks there because I guess I am not sure about the name part.

Please don't flame me for this, I am sincere (but still ignorant?) I guess I have always thought the name of God was Jesus. But the doctrine of the Trinity is very new to me, and I don't understand it at all.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I certainly think such a use of God's name is wrong, but I think I would call it "blasphemy" rather than taking God's name in vain. Taking (or "bearing" as I am told the Hebrew means) God's name in vain surely includes far more than using one of the names of Almighty God as an expletive. In fact, is that what the commandment is referring to at all? Maybe confusion arises (in English, at any rate) because words that once meant "a solemn promise" (like "oath"), or "make a solemn promise" (like "swear") are now also used to refer to using offensive or obscene language. When we read that Peter began to curse and to swear as he denied knowing Jesus, it means (as I understand it) that he made a solemn promise that he did not know Jesus, not that the words he used were in themselves obscene.

Taking God's name in vain is far more wide-ranging. The false prophets in the Old Testament "spoke lies in the name of the Lord" (Zechariah 13.3). They were guilty of breaking the third commandment, regardless of whether they used obscene language. The same in the New Testament with the "false apostles, deceitful workers" of 2 Corinthians 11.13. And is it not taking God's name in vain when someone says they are a Christian, but does not know Jesus Christ? Such a person is "Christian" in name only - they bear the name of Christ "in vain".

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and I have always been bothered by it. Along with the common internet abbreviations in message boards or chat rooms, such as IMHO, AFK, and Cya, there is OMG. And not long ago TVLand had one of their theme days, or weekends, and called it the "Oh my God 70's," the decade when television, before then refusing to allow such an expression, started flaunting it all over the place [thanks largely to Norman Lear].

But it's interesting, ironic, and admittedly hypocritical that so many who did (and may still) so lament this say it themselves-- or phrases almost exactly like it. I had a grandmother who certainly thought using God's name to express surprise or anger was 'taking his name in vain,' so she didn't say it-- but she did say "My Lord!" in the same use. What's the difference? It seems almost funny now (that she so differentiated 'God' and 'Lord').

What to do about it? The only idea I have is that, when you hear "My God!" or especially "Jesus!" expressed, ask "What about him?" You get some interesting answers, most only furthering the misuse (and there's certainly no guarantee you are not subjecting yourself to abuse or threats), but occasionally it is an opening for serious discussion.

10. Salamander

Salamander New Member

"O God" Did I just violate your minds? Have I taken the Lord's name in vain?

O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;

I understand the arguement, but it is taughtiness rather than actually taking the Lord's name in vain or profaning the Lord's name.

I believe it is just another faction created to make men "guilty" of sin.

Taking the Lord's name in vain is viewed by the arrogance found in Isaiah 4 whne those who wanted their reproach taken away but they would do as they pleased and not as pleasing the Lord.

11. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Yes. I consider that as taking God's name in vain. Any time anyone speaks His name in any way other than in praise or witnessing, then they are taking His name in vain.

12. Lynn the Baptist

Lynn the Baptist New Member

I have said it myself,"Oh My God".. and never even thought it was wrong...guess I'll try and stop ...