1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's not dead.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by quantumfaith, Apr 4, 2014.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Who has been to see this movie? What were your thoughts. Wife and I went to see it tonight. So glad we did. Great movie IMO, although it certainly will not be considered for any Oscars.....but that is a good thing.

2. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

My husband and I went to see the movie last night. We both loved it! I wish we had invited a couple of family members to see it with us.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I told myself I will not go see any Hollywoodian "Christian" movie but the wife, well, she likes to go to movies on her day-off and doesn't drive, so, well, it is HER day off.
    Most of the arguments the kid presented against the professor I've read somewhere, likely the Creationist sites.
    I just wondered why when Hollywood wants to portray a Christian 'church' they go find either an Episcopalian, Methodist, or Catholic church. Why not a non-'traditional' setting like, maybe, a Baptist church ?
    (tongue very much in cheek)....like a Primitive Baptist church ?
    Some dialogues were excellent, though, like (1) how can you hate something that doesn't exist ? (2) the professor here is not an atheist, he's an anti-theist.
    And the movie did show something very credible.
    Even to non-believers watching the show (I think there were a bunch in the movie theater yesterday).
    That people are not BORN atheists.
    They are either raised one, or, as the film suggests, there is a reason somebody hates the idea or concept of God.
    Something bad happened to him, and the culprit is God.
    His fault, not mine, that I no longer believe in Him.
    I would wager 75% of the time, that is really what causes anyone to turn against God.
    Like Hawking.
    Imagine yourself being the most brilliant mind in the world in your time.
    Now, imagine yourself being hit with tragedy, like an illness that slowly debilitates you.
    Then imagine yourself at the height of your popularity, without the ability to clean yourself.
    Ah, well, that is what the picture in my mind is.
    Might be wrong, though.
    Bottom line, those who hate God, hate a Person they believe exists in the deepest core of their being, but they want out of their lives because people like these think God exists for them, not them for God, and HE, not them, failed the reason for His existence: THEY.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I agree. Most of the theist and non-theist on a philosophical level have been around for ages. "New" evidences are trotted out with routine, and the manner in which these evidences are interpreted are largely determined by the premise of ones default position. One of the values I see in a movie like this is for those young folk without any spiritual influences who may be "flirting" around the edges of militant atheism. Those who are both theologically and intellectually naive.