1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gods Sabbath Day

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by UUall, May 24, 2006.

1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Why would God do away with the "old" that He might establish the "New" if we were going back to animal sacrifices. That was what the Bible was talking about when it said "the law is a shadow of things to come" and talking about fulfilling a law that is what Jesus really fulfilled and that was to make a "perfect sacrifice" so no more would be needed. If we are saved by Jesus's blood why in the world would we start over again with animal's blood?

Blessings,

BBob

2. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good point Brother Bob!

I have asked many feast keeping Christians to show me in the Bible where you can make a seperation of the Animal Sacrifice and the Feast. There is no such dispensation in Scripture, you either keep all of the feast or none of it.

Mosaic Judaism if fufilled in Messianic Judaism. Messianic Jews are the real Jews. The various Jewish groups in the world do not have a Temple and Levites to valdiate their mosaic feasts, yet for the Messianic Believer, Christ is the Temple.

3. Mary Diana Lynn Harper

you keep it on a Saturday and the catholics keep it on a sunday. Who is right? only God knows because with all the changes and being the ages expand over long periods of time and no one was there except Christ and God. You, I or anyone today was not there. I just know that for 6 days I work and on the 7th day I rest as God says. You can argue all you want on days and what is written in all the books all over, but God specifically says work 6 days and give me your 7th day. No day of the week mentioned except that the 7th day is a Sabbath day to God.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Catholics in their own documentation record the changing of the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday by a decree of one of the Popes. As the Pope of the church he had the authority to do that as he is the vicar of Christ to Catholics. I am not trying to be rude to Catholics, that is the way the system works, and often, the changing of the Sabbath is quoted as evidence of that very thing to Catholic students.

Yet it remains that scince the ressurection of Christ, the Jews have faithfully kept the Sabbath each Saturday!

I would also point out that most scholars see the Saturday as the Jewish Sabbath, yet call Sunday "The Lords Day" acknowledging that although it is the day that most churches worship on, it is not a Sabbath day.

5. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

That must have been the Salem group. The original Stanberry (Denver) goups seemed to be a lot more gracvious that that. Salem broke off from Stanberry, and then yes, Armstrong came out of Salem (he was originally one of the "70 elders", a concept he would later mock in Mystery of the Ages as copied from the sanhedrin, and they never had more than half of the 70).

Both groups in addition to the Sabbath kept the Nisan 14th Passover communion, but not the rest of the annual feasts. It is a progression from one "forgotten commandment" to another, and another, and another as each new group one-ups the last group. The CG7's were also binitarian.

In fact, the statute commanded "forever" in Lev.23:14 frequently quoted by these groups was not the feast day, but the OFFERING! keeping offerings.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. So then do you choose to honor Christ the Creator's Holy day - HIS memorial of his creative act in making mankind? "MADE for MANKIND" Mark 2:27 - but in harmony with what you say from Deut 5 -- you do this on a day of "your" choosing?

#2. Are you saying that as God Himself thundered this command with His own voice in Exodus 20:8-11 that He was not specific about a day and the congregation was free to select individually any day they wish - as long as it was one out of seven?

#3. Is it your claim that Exodus 16 (which serves as context leading up to Exodus 20) is "not specific?

I am just trying to fully understand your position.

In Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with you Ben - that does sound like legalism and I did not mean to imply in my post that I thought you were saying anything negative about SDAs.

My point is that the line used to "define legalism" has to be carefully drawn. You have shown a pretty good case for it "by examples" given in your post so no argument there. I am just saying that when you distill that down to "a rule" that can be used in the future it has to be something that does not condemn the group of annual feast-day keepers being identified (and even defended by Paul) in Romans 14.

In Christ,

Bob

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The case is not as confused as you may suppose. Catholic authors themselves claim that in fact the "7th day IS Saturday and not Sunday".

Let's read them as "they" show that they "get this point" as well as all the Seventh-day observant Christians.

The Catholic commentary on the Baltimore catechism post
    Vatican ii explains that keeping Sunday is in obedience to the Sabbath commandment. Catholics attend "in obedience to the third commandment of God 'remember thou keep holy the Lord's day'"
    ((from "The Faith Explained" pg 241.))

page 243

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Many "if not all" on this board will readily admit that the "Sabbath" is in fact Saturday - the Seventh-day and that the first day of the week - the day of Christ's resurrection is "Sunday".

In so doing - we have agreement on that one point by ALL sides (or almost all - I think there may be still 1 or 2 still pondering that point).