1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's sense of humor?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was recently asked this question. You may have heard someone make the remark, "God sure does have a sense of humor!" Is there really a biblical basis for making such a statement?

I responded with the story of Balaam's donkey speaking to him. I find it quite humorous to think of a man arguing with his donkey.

The one asking the question replied, "Yes, I find it humorus too; but did God find it humorous?" I think what he is trying to say is that he can't imagine God sitting around chuckling about how funny it is for a man to talk to a donkey.

What are your thoughts on this matter?

2. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watch a kitten playing, a Basset Hound pup tripping over his "adult ears", the "committee designed" Duck Billed Platypus. Yes, I think God has a sense of humor; don't have biblical proof, but I believe it.

Watch man try to show how smart he is by "proving" that God's word is out of date in this modern world.

Look at the "scholars" who deny that God exists simply because their finite minds are unable to fathom that their intelligence is limited.

I think that God may just get some real belly laughs when observing such pride coupled with an equal dash of ignorance. Again, no biblical proof, just my observations.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 2:4-5 "He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision. Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure."

Fine line between laugh (which means to make merry) or deride (mock) and wrath or vex.

Interesting juxtaposition of words; would make good sermon fodder.
    Laugh v speak in wrath
    Deride v vex in displeasure

Amen

4. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

one has to ask, if everything came from God and if we are made in his image, that is all that we are and are able to do is of his design, then where did a sense of humor come from if not from God? That is that God has a sense of humor also?

5. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

-points to Dr. Bob's post- Yup, I read that one too. Seems God sits up there while they try to make thier own law, and judgement, and laughs knowing who will have the last laugh?

6. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I would like to thank that God does laugh on occasion, but not to make fun of.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But He does mock the futility of man who rejects Him.

Sam Jones said, "God must have a sense of humor, because I've seen monkeys and some men."

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He made the platypus! A critter that seems to be made of "spare parts." And a thorn in the side of the evolutionists!

9. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Debby, evolutionists don't mind the Platypus. It is an excellent source of knowledge of how early mammals could use primitive milk glands and still be egg layers. This teaches us that the milk glands came before the placenta in the evolutionary time table. The platypus itself, of course, has some interesting modern features such as that bill with its electric field sensors. The little guy has obviously been around long enough for that to evolve on its own.

10. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

my mother used to say, "Of course God has a sense of humor, he created you didn't he?" hhehehehehe

hey, I resemble that remark now! [​IMG]

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, your mother knows you best! :rolleyes:

12. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Hey, I found this in Psalm.

Psalms 2:1 Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
    2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
    3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
    4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
    5 Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

He created Baptists, didn't he. If that's not a sense of humor, I dunno what is.

Seriously, humor is a human characteristic. I see nothing unbiblical with the idea that God would use humor to reveal himself to us, just like he uses other human characteristics.

14. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

He created Baptists, didn't he. If that's not a sense of humor, I dunno what is.

Seriously, humor is a human characteristic. I see nothing unbiblical with the idea that God would use humor to reveal himself to us, just like he uses other human characteristics.
    </font>[/QUOTE]:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: John tisk tisk LOL

You never know. Laughter being a light side of humanity, giving comfort and helping ease pain, I think that the LORD would welcome laughter, I really do as part of himself. He created this Body thus, he created our laugh.

15. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

Baptist and sense of humor in the same sentence????? Sounds blaphemous LOL