1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's Sovereignty & Human responsibility

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 1, 2011.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am reading a JI Packer book called "Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God. Its a very rich book deep in theology of evangelism. I am finding that I agree more than disagree with Packer. Many Calvinists believe in a Limited Atonement (which I do not) however I do hold that Salvation is both of God, and of man in a free will. This baffles many Calvinist who cant figure out how someone can not be Arminean in their Soteriology theology, yet deny Limited Atonement. I have also read other evangelism books by non Calvinists and have liked some points made in these books. However many of them have a overemphasis on methods, evidences (apologetics), bible translations, and other factors. The truth is that God is in control and no need to obsess over methods of evangelism. Sadly many so called church growth "experts" cant figure this one out. So what do you say about this book? Do you deny Limited Atonement and do believe as Packer does on salvation?

John

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

I deny LA and believe Jesus died for all men.

I believe God can be sovereign and man can have free will at the same time. For instance, the Jews of their own free will attempted to take and kill Jesus several times before he was actually crucified, but Jesus escaped as it was not yet his time. God did not cause these persons to hate Jesus, but he prevented them from taking and killing Jesus until the Passover. God did allow the Jews to crucify Jesus, and they were guilty because their intent was to kill him. At the same time, Jesus went willingly to the cross, the Jews had no power to take or kill Jesus. So God was in complete control while allowing men free will. At the exact appointed time, God allowed the Jews to kill Jesus exercising their free will in rejecting him, but also fulfilled his own decree.

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I agree with Packer in both Limited Atonement and evangelism.

By the way, everyone limits the atonement. Some limit the atonement's intended extent while others limit the atonement effectually. I prefer the idea of definite atonement, the atonement was going to do what it intended to do. The other side says the atonement was not definite but neither was it as effectual.

4. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

God had preordined that Jesus would come and die on the Cross, and he also worked through the use of Men deciding to do as "they willed!"

It was the predetermined will of God that Christ should die......