1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gods Sovereignty

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Michaelt, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We had our Wednesday night study last night, and our Pastor used the story of Joseph, along with Romans 8:28 to help show the sovereignty of God.

I admit personally that I have not given that much thought, other than in passing, but I must say that going through Josephs' story of being sold into slavery by his own brothers, being falsely accused and placed in jail, and then almost being forgotten in jail, and then being placed as overseer of Egypt, all in order that he could provide for his family when the famine hit Egypt.

That to me was just fascinating. And that as christians, the terms luck, chance, etc. just really are invalid.

Just wanted to share.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel the same way but what if the word is used in the Scripture?

Luke 10
    31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

HankD

3. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Interesting. But does God's Sovereignty mean that He literally makes everything happen that happens? Does it mean He is responsible for all things both good and evil?

Some seem to hold that view. Sounds a little like Yoda describing the force and it light and dark side. Eastern mysticism not biblical Christianity.

Bro Tony

4. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well ok then, perhaps chance can be removed..hehe.
    Is luck in the bible as well? hehe.

5. Michaelt

Michaelt Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there is a difference in what God "causes" to happen, and what God "allows" to happen. In either instance, does one or the other give any thought that there are things that God does not know the outcome, or resolution?

Irregardless, I happen to believe that God is sovereign and is in complete control...
    but that's just me.

6. NateT

NateT Member

HankD, I would think the use of chance there would be like when describing a basin the Chronicler (I think) said that the ratio of diameter to circumfrence was 3 and not 3.1415926...

That is, Jesus was telling a story to the people of the day and using language that they would have understood. His point in that parable was not that God caused the priest to come, but what the samaritan did come.

Maybe I'm wrong.

7. NateT

NateT Member

We had a pastor share this weekend how in a very real way if his dad had not died, he would not have a daughter (long story, but involves a scheduled hysterectomy being pushed off because of the death.)

And as I thought about, there were a lot of details that went into that. This pastor had a good relationship with his dad. What if his dad had done something really bad in his son's eyes a few years ago and they weren't even speaking. Would he have gone to the funeral? Would his wife have gone? It wasn't just the timing of the miracle of life, but in reality, significant parts of their life (if not their whole life) had to happen in the way they did to produce this situation. Same with Joseph.

8. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

That is from a parable [​IMG]

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No way, well maybe...

1769KJV Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.
    1769KJV 2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

[​IMG]

HankD