1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's voice

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mick, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Mick

Mick New Member

If I am posting this in the wrong forum, then I apologize.

Often times someone says "God has spoken to me". Please pardon my ignorance on this, but exactly how do I differentiate Gods voice from my own inner voice? There is something that I have been struggling (maybe unsure is a better word) with for quite a few years and I dont really know if God is speaking to me, or its simply my own words.

Back in 1999 I had an accident. Prior to this I led a pretty worldy life. Without going into detail, I will just say that I was not the greatest husband, father, or son. I wasnt close to the Lord, but just prior to my accident at the urging of my wife, we began to look for a church and I "felt" it was time to make a change in my life for the betterment of myself and my family. I wasnt into drugs or alcohol, wasn't (am not) a crimminal, just a sinner bound for hell. And once I came to that realization I knew it was time for a change.

We found a church that my wife and I agreed would be best for us, but soon after I got a really good job offer that was in another state. Unsure if moving would be the right thing or not, I prayed and prayed for God to show me the right descion. While still struggling with the descion to move or stay home I had an accident that left me hospitalized for 2 weeks and unable to work for 1 year. When I got released from the hospital, I was in a hospital bed that was put in my living room for the next 3 weeks. Alot of things went thru my mind during this time as I was so unassure of what my future was to hold. Laying there one night I just prayed....I said "Well God, you got me. I cant run away from you anymore, you took that ability away from me. So I surrender. I give my life and my faith to you Lord."

A very simple prayer, but a very powerful one. In the coming year I got closer to God than ever before. I read the bible everyday, any books I could get my hands on, and just generally felt at peace like I never had before.

I look back on that time as a blessing. I think, actually I believe that the accident was Gods way of getting my attention. I had backsliden for so long that I just continued to run from God even when I knew what I was doing was wrong. Since I never made time for a relationship with him, he made the time for me.

By far, even in the face of mounting bills and uncertainty, that was the best I have ever felt spiritually. But I was in such a controlled enviroment ie, not working, at home everyday with Gods word, no outside temptation, I was unsure whether I would be able to continue my new ways. After being released medically so I could return to work I found that with all the temptation around me it would be an ongoing struggle to keep my faith. To this day I still struggle, and will until my last day here on earth but that is just sin waging a war against me, as with any other Christian.

I say all that because it leads me back to my inital question about God speaking. During that year I KNEW what God was saying to me. And over the course of the last 9 years or so I seem to think everyday that I need to be in the Ministry in one way or another. But there is my delima. I cant honestly say that its the Lord speaking to me or whether its just me planting the seed in my own mind. Literally a day does not go by without me thinking about it. I have prayed and prayed and I just cant come to a descion. And what makes it all more difficult for me is that currently my wife and I arent in church. Due to professional responsibilities most Sundays and Wed we both work. Its really a trying time for me and my family but I know thru faith that things will eventually work themselves out.

2. Servent

Servent Member

I went through something like that in 2000, hurt my back at work and had to have surgery, I was out of work for almost 2 years, ( I hated that hospital bed they brought to my house it was also in the living room ) anyway during that time I was also in Gods word all the time and I also thought I was suppose to be in ministry, In away we all are suppose to, myself I always carry tracts in my pocket, I spent time downtown passing them out and talking to whoever will listen, also work in a homeless ministry in our church, and go door to door. I may not be a preacher but I'm still in ministry, As for as God speaking to you make sure what ever you think He is saying lines up with scripture, If it doesn't its probably not Him speaking.
    Find some way to get back in church, good luck and God bless you.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Does God still speak to us today? He has revealed to us in His work all we need.
    If there is a decision to be made outside of His revealved Word, then it is up to us to make a decision based on wisdom. But there is no wrong answer if it is not sinful.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have always been fascinated and intrigued by the question of how we determine God's will, either corporately or individually.

God has never audibly spoken to me, yet has enabled me to discern his will in more than one way. I know a couple of people who say they heard a voice speaking to them, and I believe them. But I am leery of people who glibly say "God spoke to me--God told me, etc."

An inner desire to go in a particular direction may not always be God's work, but sometimes it is one of the ways He reveals his will....by creating in us a desire to preach, teach, do missions, witness, etc.

In my case, he opened some doors and shut others. When I wanted to go in another direction, he boxed me in and stopped me. And having been obedient to what I believed to be his will, I had a peace about it.

And finally, sometimes we simply can't explain to others how we are confident that God wants us to do something. We just do.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I don't believe in an audible voice of God today like in bible times. But I do believe God speaks to us through His Word, which the Holy Spirit often impresses upon us.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    share your desire to preach (if there is one) with your minister. if he gives you "preaching time" then you will know if God has called you to preach.
    in our church we go thru a licentiate period, where someone who has given evidence of a preaching gift is "set at liberty" to preach the gospel.

this is announced to other churches, and other churches then invite the brother so they can witness for themselves if the Lord had indeed granted this brother the gift of preaching and/or teaching.

after a period of time (could be weeks, months, or years) the licentiate is then ordained, at the request of the church, into the ministry, and may or may not be called to pastor.

if this ordained elder then feels that he is called of God to preach the gospel elsewhere then he is to go without hesitation, without deputation, and without reservation, after all his claim is that it is the God of Heaven that has called him to that ministry, then the same God who is able to bring things that are not into things that are, should be able to supply all his needs.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Often I have heard if God is calling you to preach, He will also give that message to some of the Elders of the church. Either way, when you hear that low inner voice and it is telling you to do "good", then follow it. If its from God, then that is all the better, if not then you still have done good. In time all things will be revealed to you by the Spirit.

BBob,

8. Cutter

Cutter New Member

When I confessed my calling to preach in June of 78, the church said they all knew it, they were just waiting on me to tell it. :thumbs:

9. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Php 2:13 for the one bringing forth in you both the desire and the effort — for the sake of his good pleasure — is God.

Perhaps taken out of context?

I don't believe in the inner voice of God. I don't believe a man when he says things like, "God told me...."

God speaks through the preaching of his Word. Not the preaching of man's word. And his thoughts are not our thoughts. Makes it kind of tough to figure out, eh? But that is the point of faith. We believe God's word, though we have not seen.

10. Mick

Mick New Member

To clarify, I did not mean "spoke" as in a audlible tone. A few of you have hit the nail on the head when you said the Lord moves you or speaks to you in a way that you are guided.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

On more than one occasion, I was watching TBN and heard a PC preacher (Positive Confession) stop in the middle of his sermon and say something like the following:

Holid it. (brief pause, listening) Uh huh.............uh huh............right...........got it....thanks, Lord. The Holy Spirit just spoke to me and told me........

That's the kind of claim that I question. It's too glib, and always has something to do with the name-it-and-claim-it theology.

Whoever is speaking to him, I doubt if it's the Holy Spirit.

12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My sister is a hyper-Pentecostal. She told me that one night the "Holy Spirit" woke her up and urged her to pray for her husband (who was working in Saudi Arabia then).
    She said she got out of bed, and never in her life had she felt so overcome by the Spirit and she immediately spoke in a "heavenly" tongue and she felt the Spirit enter her body beginning at her feet all the way up to her head and past.
    I doused her with cold water with the question:

"why did the 'Holy Spirit' come from below" ?

Didn't speak to me for almost a year.

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

May I ask a question. While I doubt the TV preacher hearing from God in such a glib manner, who is anyone on this board to say that someone cannot or will not hear God speak to him or her audibly? Please back up you claim Biblically. I find no verse that says that God will only speak to His people exclusively through the Bible or preaching. Now I certainly believe that He will not contradict the Bible but no where in the Word does it say that God won't speak to people audibly or in their heart.

14. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sag38:

God gave and gives instructions to His people through the Scriptures, and through those whom He has called into ministry.

Romans 15:4 tells us: For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

In both the Old and New Testaments, the established way was to preach the Word from what was written. So you have Old Testament prophets starting their declarations with Thus Saith the Lord, and you have Jesus starting His declaration with It is written.

After the Apostles, God no longer spoke directly to man, for everything He had to say was already written down. In fact, the Apostle Paul exhorted Timothy, his protege, to "study to shew thyself approved, a workman that needed not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of Truth".
    The Bible tells us to "search the Scriptures", not listen to the inner voice of God.

We know by history that after the Apostles,whenever, and wherever, man strays out of the Scriptures and claims direct revelation or audible communications with God, he is prone to go cultic. Such a claim is adding to the Scripture, or the "book", and Revelation has a clear warning against it.

Lastly, it is much safer to rely on what is written, since Scripture is inspired by God Himself, than to believe corrupt man's claim on what He, at this age and time, claims to be a direct revelation from God.

#14 pinoybaptist, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2008
  15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

No where in the Bible does it say that God no longer speakes directly since the Apostles. If it does then show it in black and white.

Certainly we should always search the scripture first. That's a given. And, we always hold scripture's authority over any other source of supposed revelation. But, to say that no one will hear directly from God, a apart from the written Word appears, in my opinion, to be a stretch. 1Th 5:20-21 "Do not despise prophetic utterances. But examine everything carefully."

#15 sag38, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2008
  16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

HankD​

17. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Do you believe the Holy Spirit is God?
    Do you believe the Holy Spirit is the birthright of every believer?
    Do you believe the Spirit of truth... will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come?

If you answer yes, then you have to believe that God speaks inwardly to every believer.
    If you say no, then you do not believe in the truth's of God's Word.

18. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Wow, you make a pretty bold claim!
    Good thing Peter didn't believe this when he was on the rooftop praying, or Paul when he was praying on board the ship that departed Crete, or as every lost person that has been saved when they experienced what is spoken of in Hebrews 3:7 and 3:15.

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all know that if God chose, He could/would speak to us in an "audible" voice and one day He will.

That seems not to be His mode of communication in this age after the completion of the written revelation of His Son, although I personally can't prove that definitively from the Scripture.

He communicates silently through His Spirit to our spirit which more likely than not involves the Scripture.

As a specific mission here on earth, He even reproves (convicts) the World of sin via some means of communication.

HankD

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

[​IMG]