God's word

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by RaptureReady, Jun 10, 2004.

1. RaptureReady

RaptureReady
    Expand Collapse

Do we have God's perfect word today? If yes, what is it? If no, why not?

To those who do not know what the word "perfect" means, here is Webster's definition.

Main Entry: 1per·fect
    Pronunciation: 'p&r-fikt
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English parfit, from Old French, from Latin perfectus, from past participle of perficere to carry out, perfect, from per- thoroughly + facere to make, do -- more at DO
    1 a : being entirely without fault or defect : FLAWLESS <a perfect diamond> b : satisfying all requirements : ACCURATE c : corresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept <a perfect gentleman> d : faithfully reproducing the original; specifically : LETTER-PERFECT e : legally valid
    2 : EXPERT, PROFICIENT <practice makes perfect>
    3 a : PURE, TOTAL b : lacking in no essential detail : COMPLETE c obsolete : SANE d : ABSOLUTE, UNEQUIVOCAL <enjoys perfect happiness> e : of an extreme kind : UNMITIGATED <a perfect brat> <an act of perfect foolishness>

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

Why are you using Webster? And why are you using only part of Webster? I found definition 3 a and b particularly good for thist topic.

We could also use the biblical definition, as strange as that might sound in a discussion about the Bible.

Yes, we have God's perfect word today. It is complete and lacking nothing. It performs its work in those who believe. It is sufficient to equip us for every good work. And it is every faithful translation.

Of course you know all that. You just don't want to believe it and would rather try to start a fight over it.

3. amixedupmom

amixedupmom
    Expand Collapse

I agree with pastor Larry. The Bible is Perfect. There is no fault in it. You can read one verse and go back and read it again and It will have an entirely diffrent meaning to you. All you have to do Is open your heart and let God speak. Let him have a crack at your heart, I can tell you from personal experince that the BIBLE , is sometimes the only comfort a person has in this world. Please don't doubt it, then you doubt everything you believe in. If you are a Christian, It is because of that Bible, you hold. Hold it close to your heart and you will be a happy human being

God Bless

4. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Do we have God's perfect word today? If yes, what is it?

Yes, we have have God's perfect word today. There is no other way to have God's word other than in a perfect way.
    Ps 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, [entire, without blemish, complete, full, sound, without spot, undefiled,] converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

That perfect word today is available in the KJV and any other translation that faithfully and accurately represents the originals.

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady
    Expand Collapse

I agree that the Bible is perfect. I also believe it to be inspired, infallible and inerrant. The question is, only one Bible or all Bibles. I believe only one is, the King James Bible. Some thought the Message was the bible, but a topic on the Message lead us to believe it was not God's perfect word, which I obviously agree with.

I understand there are different MSS that the bibles were translated from. How does one figure out which MSS are correct.

6. Michael52

Michael52
    Expand Collapse

HomeBound

Yes, most here agree with this:
    Don't be afraid to diligently seek the truth, wherever it leads.

7. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill
    Expand Collapse

Which King James version do you believe in? I am KJ preferred 1. If you wonder what that is look at the top of the page on this forum.Do you really know enough about Bible translations to take a KJVO stand.You can go back 90 days on this forum and see all of the debate you want to read. The versions debate has been debated into the ground with neither side moving much. It just gets devisive and nasty without much real learning going on. However if you wish to travel this road there are many here who will accomodate you. Good luck my friend.

8. HankD

HankD
    Expand Collapse

One can do as the King James translators did. They took the existing manuscripts and other resources available to them and compared them then chose the variants which they decided were best to use in the AV.

9. amixedupmom

amixedupmom
    Expand Collapse

Personally speaking I perfer the KJV1611 to Learn from. Sometimes the language is too deep to understand. So I consult a NIV or a NKJV Bible to understand. The thing that has bothered me is that some newer versions have really toned down the meaning. THIS bothers me. You can't take the blood out of salvation anymore than you can take Satan out of Hell

10. HankD

HankD
    Expand Collapse

Lea try using the NASB with the KJV, NKJV and NIV.
    You won't go wrong in determining the "sense" of the Scriptures.

HankD

11. robycop3

robycop3
    Expand Collapse

Homebound:I agree that the Bible is perfect. I also believe it to be inspired, infallible and inerrant. The question is, only one Bible or all Bibles. I believe only one is, the King James Bible.

Then you believe incorrectly, as it has been more than amply proven that the KJV is NOT the only valid English BV. But I think it's more a PREFERENCE than a belief since you seem to be too intelligent to be taken in by a man-made myth.

Some thought the Message was the bible, but a topic on the Message lead us to believe it was not God's perfect word, which I obviously agree with.

As does everyone else who's chosen to post in that thread.

I understand there are different MSS that the bibles were translated from. How does one figure out which MSS are correct.

That discussion has been going on for at least five generations of scholars. Without any definite proof, we have no right to arbitrarily pick -n- choose.

12. DeclareHim

DeclareHim
    Expand Collapse

does anyone believe in plenary verbal inspiration. And I do believe we have the perfect Word of God.

13. skanwmatos

skanwmatos
    Expand Collapse

14. Michael52

Michael52
    Expand Collapse

Bro.Bill
    Was this directed to me?

In case it was, let me say that I am definitely not KJVO. I think HomeBound is. Please accept my apology, HomeBound, if this is not true. I was responding to HomeBound's comments about other posters commenting in a different thread that they had found the "Message" to be a less than stellar translation. My scripture quotation from the KJV was intended to convey that the posters had probably (possibly) examined the "Message" carefully and in good faith had come to a reasoned conclusion, in their opinion, about its merits. Maybe I was unsuccessfull in making my point. :rolleyes:

If this wasn't directed to me...never mind. ;)

In either case: Good luck, back at you, my friend. [​IMG]

In Christ
    Michael

15. mioque

mioque
    Expand Collapse

Michael52&Bro.Bill
    "I am definitely not KJVO. I think HomeBound is."
    ''
    As far as I know Homebound is the most hardline KJVO supporter among the regulars of the Baptist Board.

"Do we have God's perfect word today?"
    "
    Sure.

" If yes, what is it? "
    ''
    It's called the Kama Sutra.

What?

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

I do.

17. HankD

HankD
    Expand Collapse

Yes!

HankD

18. RaptureReady

RaptureReady
    Expand Collapse

AV 1611. Do I have a original 1611, no, but this 1769 edition is not lacking on anything the 1611 had. I know the spelling and stuff are different, but the scripture is not.

19. RaptureReady

RaptureReady
    Expand Collapse

Why not consult the Holy Spirit. He is there to guide you in all truths. All I use is the King James Bible and a dictionary.

20. RaptureReady

RaptureReady
    Expand Collapse

I have seen no proof.