1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Going from cable / satelite to netflix / local tv

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by webdog, Mar 24, 2011.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm thinking of ditching our cable. We have a 40" 1080i HDTV and love the high def stations, but we were considering getting a TiVO and subscribing to Netflix for $8 a month. With 2 young children and one on the way, they only watch a handful of stations anyway. I cannot justify paying 60 each month not to mention the dvr and high def fees.

How do we get the local stations in high def without cable? What kind of antenna would I need, or is it even possible? I do not have an analog antenna on the roof. I have heard local high def stations are even clearer than cable, but don't know how to go about getting them. Of course I will need it by football season :)

Help?

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Netflix is golden for kids programming.

Generally, TVs with those specs don't need a digital converter, so all you would need is a standard antenna, unless you live far enough away from the TV stations to require a high-power antenna.

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Check out this website. When you find what you want do a google search and you can probably get it cheaper by ordering off Amazon.

http://www.antennasdirect.com/

I have a DB8, a long range outdoor antenna, ugly,but works great considering I live in the sticks. If you are in a more urban area, you may be able to use an indoor antenna or one that goes in your attic.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks everyone. So are the channels in actual HD with an antenna, or are they just digital? Do you have to fiddle with the antenna in the same way you used to with analog? I would put the antenna behind the tv in our center (where you couldn't see it) and don't know if I would have to keep fiddling with it or not.