1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Going to the movies

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by musicforyou, May 5, 2006.

1. musicforyou

musicforyou New Member

Should you go to the movie theatre?

What is the difference between going to the movie theatre and renting a movie to watch at your house?

Where do you draw the line on what movies you will watch?

Should you watch movies that you would not allow your children to watch?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Going to the movie theatre in and of itself is not a sin.

2. There is NO difference in watching a certain movie on the big screen in a theatre and watching the SAME movie in your home by renting it or buying it on pay-per-view.

3. I don't like movies that blaspheme God, degrade women, or heartily promote a lifestyle that is grossly contrary to God's standard.

4. I don't have any children, but yes, it is all right to watch a movie yourself that you wouldn't want small children to see. For example, I would not expect children or even teenagers for that matter to comprehend Schindler's List, but I found it not inappropriate for me. There are other examples, too.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

3. whatever

whatever New Member

If you want to.

Renting a movie is cheaper, as is the popcorn and diet coke at home.

It is an aid to godliness?

There are lots of things that are appropriate for adults but not for children. There are lots of things that are appropriate for neither.

4. musicforyou

musicforyou New Member

Ok guys thank you for the one-line answers, but I would greatly appreciate it if you would expound upon your answers, maybe even throw in a little scripture. After we get a few responses on this thread I will throw in my opinion but I don't want to throw it out there yet.

5. whatever

whatever New Member

m4u,

Unfortunately the Bible does not address the topic of movies, or entertainment in general for that matter, except indirectly, and I really don't have much more to say than what I said. I think it's one of those areas where we are left with freedom, and freedom can be a lot harder to deal with than a list of dos and donts.

But I am sure that if you wait long enough someone will come along who will be happy to tell you what to do and all. [​IMG]

6. musicforyou

musicforyou New Member

It's not that I am waiting for someone to tell me what to do. I already know how I feel on the subject. I just want to see how other people feel about it. I know that I have been a few different churches (all baptist) and they all seemed to have a little different view on things. I've been in some that don't see anything wrong with going to the movies and I've been in some that say it's completely wrong to go to the movies but it's okay to rent them, and then there are those churches who say that it's wrong to do both.

7. whatever

whatever New Member

I didn't mean that you were looking for someone to tell you what to do. I just meant that some will likely tell you what to do anyway. Sorry for being unclear. [​IMG]

8. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

I personally dont go to very many movies. I have rented too many that needed to be turned off due to the lack of morals. Its nice to only have wasted 2.50 as opposed to 20 bucks. (if you figure it would cost that much for tickets for my husband and I)

I dont think there is anything wrong with physically being in a movie. I dont think that it ruins your testimony and I honestly do not even understand that argument. It seems rather silly to me.

9. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Wow. An orginal thread.... This has only been dredged up and beaten to dust umpteenjillion times on every forum to even remotely deal with Christians and Christianity.

I never understood why people come in and start threads like this but refuse to post how they feel outright. Scared? If you want to start a debate, have the intestinal fortitude to state your position up front.

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Churches that say movie going (or renting) is a sin in and of itself need a hobby.

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

rbell, I agree.

ShagNappy, I have never understood why people like you come in here and post complaining about a thread. If you don't like the thread, then ignore it. Seems simple enough.

12. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

That's alright bubba, I have never understood people who complain about what they percieve as complaining making them that which they complain about. [​IMG]

13. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Well whatever works for ya junior! [​IMG]

14. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

As a Christian filmmaker I see no problem with viewing movies in my home, or at a theater, for that matter. It is entertainment, and as entertainment is not specifically addressed in the Bible, I agree that we have freedom to determine what is right for ourselves.

I also agree that it is okay for adults to view that which young children should not watch. Some subject matter is only meant for adults.

15. Gib

Gib Active Member

Hey Bubba SBC, if you had to count to umpteenjillion, would you have to take your shoes off?

16. Rachel

Rachel New Member

[​IMG]

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

That's even more than a brazilian...

18. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

19. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

double posted..sorry