1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Golden Gate's PhD Program

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, May 16, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To whom it may concern:

Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary is in the process of starting a PhD program this Fall in the areas of OT or NT.

My observation is this: The program is only 42 semester hours long.

Check out the program @:

http://ggbts.edu/academics/degree_phd.html

Mid America's program is 60 sem. hrs., Southern's program is 60+ hrs., New Orlean's program is 60+ hrs., Southeastern and Southwestern's programs are both 60+ hrs., Southern Evangelical's program is 90 hrs. (with some adjustments for a certain type of Master's degree), and Vanderbilt's program (as though someone who is conservative and "believes the Bible" would want to go there?).

The problem I have is this. Is this too short of a program to do a PhD in Biblical Studies? We have argued the pros and cons before concerning whether or not the MDiv should be the entrance degree into the PhD. But is this PhD too short?

Why?

Why not?

Observations, especially welcome from all who have strong opinions on the subject!!!

sdg!

rd

2. greek geek

greek geek New Member

Golden Gate announced this degree right after I decided to stay at DTS for a PhD. I found that quite interesting since Golden Gate is probably the only SBC seminary I would want to go to (but that's for another thread).

The 42 hours seems quite low since only an MDiv is required to enter. My PhD program is 35 hours - but that is with a required ThM. Looking over the courses at Golden Gate, many of them seem to be a copy of classes I did for my Masters. That's a bit surprising. I would say that for a PhD program that only requires a MDiv, and with a look at their classes - I don't think the 42 hours is enough. It looks like the degree doesn't push you very deep into the OT/NT studies. I would want more from a program. Also there is no mention of ANE studies for their OT program. I can't imagine an OT PhD program that doesn't spend a lot of time in the ANE since it is so vital to OT studies.

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greek Geek Response

Please help me here. My grad work is in Rhetoric & Communication's Cognates and The History of Christian Thought ((from the university) or Theology to some of you), with some overtones of Social Ethics.

So, for us who are uninitiated; pray tell me what "ANE" is? I hate to appear (or be) ignorant. That is why I asked the question.

I constantly tell my students that "the only bad question is the one not asked." So, help a brother out here.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

4. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I think it refers to the ancient Near East, my guess is he means the cognate languages like Aramean, Ugaritic, and Akkadian (maybe even Eblaite if its come around lately) as well as some of the requisite history from that area.

5. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Words should have a common meaning. If an institution wants to use the term "PhD," they should use it to describe what everybody else calls a PhD. And everybody else does NOT call this a PhD.

I affirm anybody's right to set up shop and issue certificates of completion for anything from Voodoo to nail-biting, but truth in advertising has to come into play eventually and using terms in unorthodox ways is one definition of fraud.

6. greek geek

greek geek New Member

Sorry. ANE does mean Ancient Near East. And as Brandon Jones said it does include the study of semitic languages that are related to Hebrew and Aramaic and greatly influence Hebrew and OT studies. There are also many other areas of study related to ANE that have a major impact on OT studies. An OT PhD program without some emphasis in that area is not a comprehensive program.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Wheaton college is a school I wanted to attend to do my doctorate and their program is from 40-60 hours, depending where the student was. But never over 60hrs. Would 40 hrs be considered too short at Wheaton?

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

How many credit hours does one take at a British university?

If I understand it correctly, a Ph.D. at Oxford, St. Andrews, Aberdeen, et al requires no additional classroom time.

So why is 42 hours too short?

Why do US seminaries require anything more than a dissertation and seminars?

9. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Because professors are paid for teaching classes. :smilewinkgrin:

10. eddie

eddie New Member

Bob Jones U. requires less than the Golden Gate PhD program.

From the Bob Jones University web site:

"The Doctor of Philosophy degree in Theology requires a total of 96-100 graduate hours beyond a bachelor's degree."

Is the Bob Jones U. PhD in Theology program well respected in scholarly circles?

Eddie

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BJU PhD Response

There is a conundrum with Bob Jones's PhD.

For what it is, it may be one of the best out there. Their people are really sharp especially when it comes to the Biblical languages and Church History and Theology.

But, on the other hand you could hardly find a place to use it. Small fundamental Bible colleges and such are the main places. You will hardly ever, if ever, see someone with the PhD from there teaching at one of the major big name Evangelical seminaries. Not b/c of knowledge but more b/c the PhD degree is not from an RA university, grad school, or seminary.

I would welcome any and all to correct me here, I would love to be wrong. they are scholarly and tenacious in what they know and believe. I was blessed to be reared under one of the BJU trained ministers.

Go Figure!

rd

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BJU PhD Reponse #2

Hey guys and gals,

Here is something that I failed to offer. BJU's PhD is 96-100 hrs. past the BS/BA.

Golden Gate's PhD is built on the 90+ hrs Master of Divinity degree. So, one could have an MA/PhD from BJU in the same time that the MDiv degree could be finished. BJU follows the university model of say Vanderbilt, Emory, of Duke.

FYI! and just my observation.

rd

13. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Just do the dissertation in your spare time.
    I doubt that RA would impress anybody. They're still BJU and what major school wants THAT in their catalog?

Now, if a graduate began to publish a raft of papers in scholarly journals, he might have a chance.

Might.

14. PastorBrad

PastorBrad New Member

Well, pipedude i am not sure if there is an academic definition of PhD. If there is could you please share it with us?

15. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist