1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Golden State Baptist College.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by DeclareHim, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

PCC states that they are non-denominational with Baptistic beliefs. However the Campus Church calls itself an Independent Baptist Church. I would agree that BJU is not a Baptist School and they even pride themselves in that.

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Well, actually PCC's website says that the Campus Church "operates in the spirit of an independent Baptist church."

From the WWW.PCCI.EDU website:

"The center of spiritual vibrancy is Campus Church, which provides students with a warm local church atmosphere. Campus Church, which operates in the spirit of an independent Baptist church, acquaints students with the workings of a separated, Bible-believing church and encourages them in their worship and service for the Lord."

3. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Their advertisement in the Sword of the Lord states that they are an Independent Baptist Church.

4. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Yeah, I think that when advertising in the SOTL they'd have to say that.

Their status as to whether or not they are an actual NT church has been the subject of some rancorous debate on the BB from time to time, based on their structure.

Personally, I hold to the opinion that I shouldn't be able to look up a NT church on Florida's Dept. of State website & find it to be listed as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the college.

5. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I agree that they are not like any other church. I've argued this on the PCC thread.

Getting back to this thread, Golden State is an excellent school and if God leads a person there, then go.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My perception of the school is they are looking for freshman directly out of their parents homes or do not come from an unsaved family. If Declare Him's comment
    is correct. But so far, GSBC's website if any has not been posted to this thread.

7. LarryN

LarryN New Member

is correct. But so far, GSBC's website if any has not been posted to this thread. </font>[/QUOTE]Here's their website:

http://www.gsbc.edu/

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, I just checked it out. Somehow, I thought it was located down in SoCal not in North Silicon Valley. Dr. Bob, it's Brother Jack Trieber's school. So from the looks of it, GSBC is more than a jumped up Bible institute. n.b. Pastor Trieber is a MBBC grad.

While the KJV is the official English translation, the school does require 12 hours of Greek/Hebrew for a BA. So I wouldn't think of it as your stereotypical KJVO school.

Further as I read their information, they do seem to be hard core. But that's just my opinion. Even though I live within 30 miles of the place, I haven't crossed paths with any of their grads. So, I don't personally know their fruit.

9. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

If you like legalistic KJVO cultism I guess :rolleyes: . But not IMO.

10. aefting

aefting New Member

I have visited North Valley Baptist Church, the church in which Golden State Baptist College functions. The music was good for the most part but the preaching was typical of what is found in most Sword of the Lord type churches. The service was refreshing compared to what we had experienced that Sunday morning in another church, but not what I would want on a regular basis. I remember seeing a Jack Hyles biography in their bookstore and being disappointed that he was still being promoted in SOTL circles.

We have a girl in our church who is transferring from PCC to GSBC this year. It will be interesting to see what she thinks after being there for a semester. I would not have recommended GSBC but no one asked my opinion and her parents are supportive. Personally, I can't see flying all the way across the country to go to a small church school when BJU is a short 2 hours away. She is a sweet girl. I hope things work out for her.

Andy

11. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Sometimes getting away from home is a good thing. I am sure she will like GSBC. From what I know of the school, they are a KJV School. They do not hold to the KJVO Ruckman position.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't cross the street to go there and hear any preaching or take any classes. But that is just my opinion.

Good to hear many sides of the issue discussed here. It will truly help one to make up the mind on validity of a school and program.

13. aPirate

aPirate New Member

It has been about 4 years since I went to a pastor and workers conference at Jack Trieber’s church, the second one I have attended there over the years, and they are a King James Only Independent Fundamental Baptist church. Golden State College is an integral part of the church and is located just down the street.

I have known several kids that have attended the college and it is a strict soul winning oriented college. I believe the first conference I attended there several years before had Jack Hyles as a guest speaker. I had the opportunity to listen to Hyles preach several times, and sit down and talk with him a few times. Whatever he was, he was an incredible man of God who believed what he preached and lived it to an extreme.

You will find no excuses at Golden State College for believing as conservatively as they do, and they are very careful who they choose to attend their college. We left a church even more conservative than Trieber’s because they would not even approve of my being on this bulletin board. I have no animosity towards them however, and if they want to live that way, fine.

14. Repent_and_Believe

Repent_and_Believe New Member

This is a VERY good college. Dont let the statement fool you. Here are some answers to some points that were made:

1. KJV 1611 committee never adopted that other 11 books were scripture. Read the introductory material in the front of the KJV in order to understand their intent. They were included as at that time the accepted church was the Episcopalian and they included those books in their church. The main church of the court was NOT a Baptist but Protestant which had retained alot of the Catholic Church's writings.

2. "Students who wish to be accepted at GSBC must come from a church of like faith and practice. We want to make it very clear to all of our students where we stand; therefore we will not be able to accept charismatic, "Bible" church, "Christian" church, non-denominational, or Inter-denominational students." May I note that they do accept students from a church I visited in Hawaii. Pastor James Reid is on VERY good terms with Pastor Jack Treiber. The name of the church is Friendship Bible Church. In their church bulletin they say that they are a BAPTIST church. Thus this part of the catalog can be read a bit differently in light of my above statement. As long as your church is of 'like faith' they will accept you.

I know of several students that go there. Is it militant - yes, its built on the foundation that there is a cause today as in the past. Win the loss for Jesus and dont let the Modernists turn your church into a designer center.