1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Golf

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Nicholas25, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

What did you shoot when you first started playing? How long did it take you to get decent if you are a solid golfer now? How inconsistent were you when you first started playing? Did you go from hitting a great shot to hitting the next one on the ground?

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I'm an absolute duffer. I play about 3-5 times a year. I used to play more (like 10-12 times). However, I can shoot in the high 90's if you give me a mulligan or two, and on an easy course. My game took a big step several years ago when I did two things:

1. Several times I played with a friend who was good and I watched him, and he gave me a few pointers.

2. I began watching the PGA on TV, watched the players closely, and tried to imitate their swings.

Before that, I was shooting 110-120. I took 20 strokes off my game in just a year or so. Too bad I've never improved beyond that!

#2 Andy T., Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I still do this. If I could avoid the embarrassing ground ball shots, etc., I could probably erase 5 strokes off my score. I think about the only way to avoid those shots is to play all the time.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I rarely kept score when I first started playing. On the advice of a friend or two, they said it would help me just learn to love to swing, and they were right. When I started, I probably shot 110-120. The only thing that will make you better is get some good instruction, practice, and play more, better and smartly. I got down to less than bogey golf just by practicing once or twice a week and playing once or twice a week. A back injury has left me playing a couple times a year. I want to play more, though. Just too darned hot right now, though (I'm getting old...I thought I'd never hear myself say that).
    Very consistent....all my shots were awful :laugh: Seriously, I was all over the place. You have to have some foundation (Grip, stance, etc.) in order to build a swing and your game.
    Like Andy, I've always done that. I can hit a 270 yard drive right down the fairway, and then shank the next one onto the freeway. Or top my drive, then hit the driver 250 off the deck. A few years ago, I blocked a 7 wood into the water just 50 yeards ahead of me ( I was just a few feet from the water's edge anyway on the fairway). Dropped basically in the same spot I was. Same club. Just nailed it right on the screws. Almost holed out.

The one great shot you hit per round is enough to keep you coming back. Then as you improve, it's that one par. Then the one birdie. I love this game. Let's go play 36 tomorrow! Phooey on the 100 degree temps!

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I have all but eliminated topped balls and ground balls to the shortstop. That helped me get my game going.

The best thing that I did: Leave the driver at home and trade the long irons for 7 and 9 woods. Often (and it used to be always the case) that I could hit my 3 wood as long as my driver, and much straighter. 225 in the fairway is better than 250 in the trees.

This game is a lot more fun if the ball is in the air. Then you can build a game.

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Started playing with cut down clubs with my mom and her girlfriend and I was about 7 or so. By nine or so I'd had some lessons and my grip and swing were semi fixed.

Started regular play with dad and his friends at about 14. Probably played bogie golf plus 4 or 5 for 18.

Joined the local course and played about 3 sometimes 4 times a week, and took a few lessons to cement my swing. My first league play at about 21-22, I was playing to about a 10 handicap, and slowly but steadily improved, though became spotty with my playing time. In my 30's I played to a fairly steady 5-6 handicap, and played one season with a 4 handicap. I've always had a good approach to golf and have been philosophical about bad shots, but with the folks I played with, it became tedious, mostly because those I played with were kind of hot heads. I've gotten 3 aces, 2 were in league play.

Dad still plays 18 holes, 3 times a week, but drives a cart. He's 87. I now play only a few times a year. But I do love the game. I probably would need almost a stroke a hole now. (maybe a 15 hc)

One of my best friends used to say, "put me down for a 5" and i knew he should have had a 6, but I just let it go. He did it a lot. It's a great game. See Bagger Vance, the movie.

7. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Used to observe an older guy at the club: Don would hit his driver and the ball would stay very low, and then start to slowly rise. Used to amaze me. He'd hit consistently 250-260 yds. and very straight. He carried about a 6-8 handicap.

8. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I've gone through all the trials: leave the driver in the locker. slices, only fixable by a lesson or two, same for hooking but far less often a problem. greens in regulation, many 3+ puts, putting slumps that would frustrate anyone, missed an eagle from 3 ft. and lots of similars.

But it's the times you hit one right on the screws (OK, that dates me) or sink the 40 footer, and playing with good friends, seeing them make the good shots, that makes it fun.

9. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

For a long time I used to use 1,3,4,5,and 6 woods, until I finally bought a good set of irons. Then I only kept the 1 and 3, and had a couple, maybe 3 wedges instead. Big improvement. Loved my new 3 iron from inside about 210. It really replaced the 3 woods.

10. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I shot around 120 when I first started playing and I lowered my score to the low 90's but have yet to break that mark. I don't get to play much now and have not in a long time. I hate to think what I would shoot because the problem with golf is that if you do not play often you can not improve your game.

Yes I do hit a great shot and then hit fat or thin on the next. Thats why I am not very good! The best part of my game is on and around the green. Thats because this is what I practiced the most. I noticed my score drop rapidly once I learned how to play the short game a bit better. Plus you at least look good when you make a nice chip or a decent putt!:laugh: