1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Books for New Believers?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by superdave, Apr 2, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave New Member

I am working with a guy who accepted Christ just a couple weeks ago. His wife and my wife are doing a Bible Study together. Anyone have any suggestions for a book or study guide that would be good for a new believer.

I have seen Won by One, and I am also considering going through the Purpose Driven Life book by Rick Warren.

2. mioque

mioque New Member

Children's books* intended to give some background on a particular part of the Bible, or on a related subject are great.
    As an example: Peter Conolly "The Jews in the time of Jesus" published by Oxford University Press

*We are talking 12 year old children here not 3 year olds.

3. At His Feet

At His Feet New Member

Psalms, Proverbs, New Testement.
    A chapter a day in each.

New believers need to be in the Word of God. they don't need someones interpretation of the scripture. the Holy Spirit will guide them. the power is in the scripture. encourage them to pray continually.

4. superdave

superdave New Member

I agree they need to be in the Word of God, but I am talking about Bible Study books. People who tell new believers "just read the Bible" are putting them at a disadvantage. Its important, but I am talking about directed Bible study using tools to help them get more out of the text. I'm not talking about interpretation, I'm talking about very basic doctrine, with the scriptural support to help them understand why our church believes and preaches what they hear. Not just "Start in Genesis and plow through" IMHO that is not enough. He has already asked me questions about what he is reading, that are not answered by reading the text and hoping you can figure out what it means. Studying the Bible in its literal historical context many times means using the knowlege and wisdom of others to help you understand what the author's intent was. I think it is best to avoid, "What does it mean to you"

5. At His Feet

At His Feet New Member

what i am seeing as i look at the modern day churches is this. (we will use this board as one example). over all how many individuals that post here use the Word of God as a basis for the point of view they are posting? this is the condition of the churches they don't read their Bibles. How can they know Jesus if they are not exposed to His very Word. One has but to read Psalm 119 to realize the value of the Word of God. there is no other book that could offer what the Bible has for us as christians. this is our God given instrument in the battle. this is our defense against the devil. Jesus used the scripture to deal with Satan. new christians need this defense. they need to learn this early on.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible study books I have been using for years are The Design For Discipleship series published by Nav Press. I use the first six books. Then I move onto the books Step By Step Through the OT and Step By Step Through the NT by Lifeway. Finally I take them through the book How To Read The Bible For All Its Worth. When they get through all of that which takes about two years they are very well prepared. I have never seen anyone who does not begin to share their faith during this time. It prepares them very well. They have something to share. They have a good introduction to the historicalbackground of scripture and how to interpret various kinds of passages.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

At His Feet,
    I guess I just took most of what you are saying for granted, since the philosophy of our church is very Word-centered.

I use other books and study tools to help understand and explain the scriptures, not as an end to themselves. I have no doubt that this young man will be exposed to the Word in many different formats within the context of our church, and I am looking for a discipleship book or series that is based on and points to the scriptures. I think there are many good study helps out there, and I was asking for some opinions about what some others on this board have used, and I am very discerning about the various viewpoints on the board.

8. thinkbible

thinkbible New Member

Possible books for new believers.

- Major Bible Themes by Chafer/Walvoord - 52 Vital Doctrines fo the Scriptures Simplified and Explained. Hardcover book.

- The Next Step for Growing Christians by Jackl Chick. Softcover book. "Comic Book" style book just like Chick tracts.

- The Bible Belivers Helpful Little Hanbook by James Melton- a small booklet with definitions of "apostosy" "Angels" "Baptist" "Doctrine" etc.

- What the Bible Teaches by Dr Raymond Barber. Book that covers Inspiratin, Creation, Evolution, Science, Deity, Christ, ec.

- Helps for the New Christian- Sword of the Lord booklet series. (on 50 cents!)

I'm sure I can come up with more if you are interested. If you are interested more info ask. If you are interested in buying send me a private msg or email.