1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Good Books on Evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by John of Japan, Dec 21, 2016.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you prefer these books? Please tell us something about them.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now here's an interesting one for you. I have the 1975 Basic Training Manual for Campus Crusade for Christ, by Bill Bright (I assume; doesn't say for sure). I won't try to do more than describe the contents, but it's quite interesting.

It's all about winning folks to Christ, and has detailed instructions for using the "Four Spiritual Laws" and Bright's children's tract, "Good News Glove." (I assume there's a "Wordless Book" type of glove that goes with the tract.) An interesting thing about the children's tract is that it does delineate sin somewhat in the line of Ray Comfort's method, though it doesn't say that these sins break the Ten Commandments.

There are instructions for training someone to win souls, do a religious survey, etc. There is also a fairly good follow-up program in the book.

There is a good article specifically by Bill Bright on the fullness of the Spirit for evangelism. He says, "I am now convinced that the luke-warm, carnal Christian can be changed into a dynamic, witnessing Christian if he will surrender his will to Christ and be filled with the Spirit" (p. 158).

Now, this method is what Ray Comfort rails most at. He is right in one criticism, that Hell is not mentioned in Bright's tract. On the other hand, Comfort's books leave out teaching on the power of the fullness of the Holy Spirit and the Gospel itself.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well because they are written from a Reformed POV. I also have read them and they seemed easier to understand than "Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God." Tell the Truth is used as a training manual in many Calvinist churches and colleges, and even some non Cal ones like BJU.

Tell the Truth-"Picture a gigantic cruise ship filled with happy people. "It's the S.S. Evangelical Gospel. In the midst of their fun and excitement, passengers have not noticed holes in the ship's side under the water line. Well-meaning leaders are attempting to plug these holes with new methods, technology, social activism and cultural savvy. All these are important, yet the structure of the ship remains compromised by years of neglect." In this thoroughly revised fourth edition of the now classic Tell the Truth, Will Metzger reinstates the truth framework necessary for the survival of evangelicalism. Biblical illiteracy among evangelicals is on the rise. Theological discernment between truth and error is increasingly elusive. We need to be recalibrated not to the changing times but to the changeless gospel. As useful as it is passionate, Tell the Truth will refocus and re-energize a whole new generation to communicate the whole gospel, wholly by grace, truthfully and lovingly. Includes a study guide and new training materials for personal witnessing!

Todays Evangelism-This book is a critique of the methods of evangelism used by most, but besides that the book gives a fully biblical view on evangelism. The author is a Calvinist so this may not be the best book for Arminian readers. Arminian check out these books.

Out of Commission- Paul Chappell
    One thing you Cant do in Heaven- Mark Cahill

The author defines what evangelism is in the 1st chapter which is just the communication of a divinely inspired message called the gospel. To evangelize one must present Jesus to sinful men so that they may trust him as savior. To do this involves telling people they are sinners and headed to Hell apart from Christ. This is not a popular message in the day of relativism that we live but its the Biblical message. We need to be true to the message regardless of the results which the author argues are up to God and not us nor our efforts. This is quite contrary to the methods and message of evangelism in todays "Luke Warm Church." This book was so motivating and encouraging for me as a Street Evangelist because it's not common for me to get converts, but regardless I stay true to the message of evangelism and the preaching of sin and I fully trust God to bring forth his elect to salvation with me or without me. I only seek to obey the great commission (Mk 16:15, Mt 28) of which honors Him. Much more could be said about this book which I strongly recommend to all believers.

Some other good Calvinist based Evangelism books

Nothing but the Truth-John MacArthur
    The Gospel & Personal Evangelism- Mark Dever

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know that since you have not read the book The Way of the Master but only read Hells Best Kept Secret? And no it is not all about winning folks to Christ as that is a SECONDARY focus in evangelism. The primary focus is to bring glory to God. Read the book "Todays Evangelism" by Ernest Reisinger to get a clear focus on the task of evangelism. I ordered the book you mentioned which I should get today (not available electronically) and will give it a read so I suggest you give the book I have mentioned "Todays Evangelism" a read.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I'm on p. 187 of TWOTM, so I think I know what it's about. Furthermore, you have misunderstood what I wrote. Please read more carefully. I did not write that the Christian life is all about winning souls to Christ, but that the book I was reviewing was. I agree that the primary duty of a Christian is to bring glory to God.

And as for your thought that I need to "get a clear focus on the task of evangelism," I've been evangelizing for 59 years, so I hope I understand it by now. ;)

As far as you ordering the book I mentioned, that's great. I think you will be blessed. However, I'm on the 2nd of Ray Comfort's books recommended by you, so I'm ahead in that game. :Biggrin

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Comforts books are not Calvinist in nature. They are good books but I never said they were the best.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, well, if you want to go that route, I may have read more books on evangelism by Calvinists than you. I've mentioned on this thread three you apparently haven't read: Spurgeon, Kennedy, and Packer.

But that is actually irrelevant to the thread, which is simply about good books on evangelism, not those from any particular theological perspective. :)

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I highly recommend The Wondrous Joy of Soul Winning, by R. A. Torrey. My copy of this little gem of 90 pages has no date on it, and is a reprint, but I suppose it was first published around 1900. The contents are still relevant and inspiring to every believer who wants to sin souls to Christ.

As always and in contrast to Ray Comfort and other modern writers, Torrey emphasized the absolute necessity of the power of the Holy Spirit in evangelism. Here is a somewhat long, but wonderful quote:

"Undoubtedly when one is filled with the Holy Spirit he will have a deeper joy than he ever had before, for beyond a question the secret of obtaining victory over sin is being filled with the Holy Spirit, but, if one seeks the Holy Spirit merely for these purposes, he will not receive Him. Unless we are willing to be used in bringing others definitely to Christ, no amount of reading devotional books, or going to conventions, or wrestling in prayer will bring us the blessing that we seek. If we are to be filled with the Holy Spirit, we must seek that fulness along the line of God's will and plan.... No Christian can enjoy the fulness of the Holy Spirit's power and presence, and the joy and victory that go with that fulness, until he definitely puts himself into God's hands to be used of Him in winning others to Christ" (pp. 11-12).

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listened to the audiobook of Packers book. It was kinda dry. But maybe if I had read it I would have gotten more out of it I don't know. Audio books are kinda dry any ways.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He teaches that Sinners have to repent and put faith in Jesus, but need to use the Law to have that happen, correct?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is very interesting though that some of the best books on this subject wer done by calvinists, so much about us not into missions/evangelism!

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't listen to them myself. I have to read the book.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon's is one of the best ever. Other than that I have to go with John R. Rice--who was actually strongly influenced by Spurgeon.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was your Grandfather, correct?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was he a calvinist then? Think that he would be shocked at the Sword of the Lord newspaper that now wentinto really bein "Fundamenatlist"

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he was.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he was not a Calvinist--even wrote against the five points. But he appreciated godly men empowered by the Holy Spirit, no matter what their theology.

He used so many of Spurgeon's sermons in his newspaper that Bob Ross, who prints Spurgeon's stuff under Pilgrim Publ., sent him the entire set of Spurgeon's sermons, which he once proudly showed me. (Until then he only had the partial set from another publisher, which I recall had yellow covers.) Once when I was down in Texas I visited the PP store and talked to Bob Ross' son, who gave me one of the complete set which had an intro by JRR.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a letter from John R. Rice about a (now defunct) Bible college that was hyper calvinist.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is very cool. Would it be possible for you to get a scan of that to me? (I have to head out now--I'll come back here tomorrow.)

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is in one of my boxes in storage.