1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Clean Science Fiction

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by kman, Nov 12, 2002.

1. itsawebthing

itsawebthing New Member

I've always enjoyed Edgar Rice Burroughs books ever since I was a kid (you know, the Tarzan guy). He had a wild imagination, and wrote about adventureres going to Mars, Venus, the center of the Earth. I just wish I had more time to read more. Have several sci-fi books from the 1950s that I want to read at some point.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'ver ead most of the Tarzan books, and more of his writtigs, I liked his tyle. I've also read a good bit of older sci fi, and it is usually readable, and a lot of it either does not try to deny God, or even speaks favorably of Him. His exsistanc eis a given.

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

I've been reading the 'Honor Harrington' series by David Weber and have enjoyed them so far. I'm into book seven of the eight I have.

There was, so far, only one instance where I felt the line was crossed. And, that wasn't nearly as bad as many I have stumbled across in my avid Sci-Fi reading.

I personally liked 'The Ship that Searched' and the 'City that Fought' books. I think they are by Anne McCafry (sp?) At least they had good endings compared to the Dragon Riders of Pern stories where it seems as soon as you start liking a hero or heroine they get killed off.

I, too, lament the fact that there are so few really good Sci-Fi stories that do not use gratuitous sexuality as a 'hook'.

Orson Scott Card is a good author, even if he is Mormon. His 'Ender' series was a good read.

I'll have to go through my 'keeper' box of paperbacks and see what else is in there.

'FootFall' wasn't too awful bad either.

4. FMeekins

FMeekins Member

Currently reading "Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars: Vol 1." It is about the rise of Khan Singh. Quite relevant to what is going on today with cloning and genetic engineering.

Frederick

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody's mentioned the classic, Dune (Frank Herbert, 1965).

I picked up his son's prequil, The Butlerian Jihad, (Brian Herbert adn Kevin Anderson)
    It's wonderful, I can't put it down!

Rob

6. glenn316

glenn316 New Member

You know, I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Andre Norton.
    see link
    Andre Norton page

yea, sure some of her stuff is kind of on the juvenile side, there's no hint of smut in them