1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured good exposotors

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jkdbuck76, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello WPE,

I have heard some non cals who are solid to an extent.

However I believe many of the Cal expositors digest heavy amounts of the Puritans,and Reformers who where some of the most intense expositors of scripture who have ever lived.

They took a stand writing confessions and catechisms as a guide, but always kept scripture as primary at all times.

Many want to be quick to be critical of these men...especially the puritans and look to find fault with how their practice and conduct...that is a side issue.

They did not have modern technology to be distracted by...TV radio, computers,etc...so they were given to the word.

Most of the sermonaudio men I listed have greek and hebrew language skills having taught them....:thumbs::applause::thumbs:

Some of the key passages that come into play on these teachings come down to the greek words used, the tense of the words, etc....It all comes out as what we know as Calvinism...or basically...the truth. These men will preach expository sermons as they do not need to avoid any texts of scripture as many churches avoid the election and predestination passages like they were infected with the ebola virus.
    The Calvinist Pastors I have mentioned have the other views, like wesley, finney, and such in their libraries have seen their best arguments and shredded them.

#21 Iconoclast, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  2. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

What do you think about the late radio preacher Dr. J. Vernon McGee as far as his "Through the Bible" expository preaching goes?

As best I know, I wouldn't necessarily place him in the Calvinist camp, yet he does seem to be a fairly good Bible expositor.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As a new Christian I listened to him. As my views strengthened I saw how he actually opposed what I hold to. people like listening to him more for his folksy sounding voice.....more than his actual content

31 And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.

32 And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.

33 And when this cometh to pass, (lo, it will come,) then shall they know that a prophet hath been among them.

A descent non cal is james Mcdonald...walk in the word...he mostly deals with family issues. personally i need the stronger voices like those i listed...i could make an additional list as I listen quite a bit ...my job allows for it, so I take advantage of it:thumbs:

While I am critical of some current or recent ministries when asked......I would that God even use them for the conversion of sinners. I think Cals have the closest view of the overall scriptural teaching and if anything we should start with these teachings and look to refine and improve where we can.

#23 Iconoclast, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good to listen to, as is john macarthur, its just that with all teachers of the bible, must listen with discernemnt and take the wheat, and trfuse the chaff they all have!