1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good for Baptist Women; SBC Still Not Listening

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Are they women pastors who are in authority over men? Do they teach men?

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I don't know all of them, but there are a number of very prominent complementarians, some of whom I respect very highly. Don't think we can assess each one individually.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, we'd need to, wouldn't we? Could you at least name the churches so I can look them up? It's too late and I'm busy tomorrow to look them all up. I looked up the first four and so far no women in leadership over men.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yep. At least in that area.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No, you can't. Christus Victor makes God into, essentially, a lying trickster, and elevates the place of the devil. It is apostasy.

Penal Substitutionary Atonement is what is clearly taught by scripture.

Being obedient is worship. We are commanded to evangelize. Evangelism is worship.

Oh yes it does "work." Unless you believe that God is capricious, and malevolent, and intentionally made things vague. I don't. I think He made them infinitely clear, and you and others are placing modern worldly sensibilities above the Word of God.

Biblical teachings about who are to be the leaders in God's church, is certainly not a "fringe" issue. Outside the fundamentals, it is probably THE most important issue. The leadership of the church affects everything else. The fact that God is SO clear on this issue, yet people choose to turn a blind eye to it because of modern worldly ideas of morality, also makes it important.

You may think that God just threw a bunch of optional ideas into a book to give us. I don't; I believe He gave us clear and specific commands to follow. As far as me being "intelligent" or not being "gracious,"...please. I am commanded to confront false teaching, not shake hands with it, and be nice. Political correctness and "tolerance" are diseases that need to be squished.

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Again, that's just not the case, and the Fosdick quote does apply, since nobody is worried about taking the Bible literally. I think we all know that we read the Bible according to genre. If it's supposed to be literal, we take it that way. I believe Paul actually said it, it's just how to interpret it in light of its original context. And that is not the simple process you seem to think it is. And it doesn't cut it if you just say "yes, it is."

7. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Jaigner...

I am with you on this thread. I particularly like the topic of Church function: Missions or Worship. I vote for both. But if it has to be one or the other, then I vote for worship.

Last time women pastors came up, I chased this topic until the thread was closed and a second one started.

This time, I will be with you--but absent--if you know what I mean.

...Bob

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yes it does. And Yes it is. God's Word is not hard; it is clear. Women cannot be pastors.

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Why am I not surprised?

10. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Okay, okay, you're taking your ball and going home. But the rest of us remain and will continue to engage all sides with generosity and love.

Blessings.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Timothy 3:1 "This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife . . ."

You either believe it or you don't. As for me, I believe it.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another for Annsni:

The Rev. E. Kathleen Christopher
    Assistant Rector, Pastoral Care
    The Falls Church, Falls Church VA

#33 Jerome, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2011
  14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Believe it? Huh? I believe the Bible says it, and if I didn't the Bible 1 foot away from me would tell me otherwise. It would be really silly to not believe it.

And, of course, I believe the Bible. I believe every word it says was written to a particular people and is still useful for us today. But we can't go straight from reading to application. We have to interpret in light of historical and grammatical issues. If we don't do that, we're not approaching the text with a spirit of faithfulness.

But the passage you quote gives us no real information on the issue, because of course it's going to be talking to men. The Bible was written to people who lived in a society in which women were property. Paul's not going to say men or women, because that wouldn't have made sense in that society.

15. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This explaining away of the clear text opens the door to error and apostasy.
    Thanks for catching my spelling mistake. I sometimes post when tired and am not as careful as I should be.
    As far as apostasy goes, I do know it when I see it. That is why I responded to this thread.
    Open rebellion against the revealed word of God is apostasy.This is not open for "debate" as 1 tim 2 is very clear.
    God regulates His worship. The qualifications for eldership is very clear.

#35 Iconoclast, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
  16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found the denominations for the two listed

Evangelical Free

Anglican

17. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, why do Southern Baptist Conservatives Mohler and Dever serve on the council of the The Gospel Coalition alongside E-Free and Anglican pastors with views/practice regarding women in ministry that have been roundly excoriated here as nonevangelical, worthy-of-disfellowshipping, liberal, Biblically-wrong, rebelling-against-Scripture, apostacy, feminist, worldly, error, open-rebellion-against-the-revealed-Word-of-God, etc.?

18. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word authority comes up whenever women in ministry is mentioned ... but it is never really explained. It is just thrown out as an unsupported argument.

By the way, as a Baptist I do not believe any pastor, minister, preacher, priest, bishiop .... etc. has authority over me ... only God.

It is a red-herring argument as it plays no part in Baptist life IMHO.

The best ministers, in the sense of ministering to people, I have known the last 20 years have been women ministers.

Cheers.

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Annsni, here's another:

Pastor Amy Burslem, Willingdon Church

20. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Strange comment. Some of the best most compassionate trustworthy pastors I know are women.

No real man is afraid of intelligent, educated strong women ... even women pastors. There are many insecure men who are afraid of intelligent, educated strong women.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.