1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good Friday Vs Hitler’s B-Day at School

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went on a rant a couple weeks ago upon finding out about my children’s high school taking off for “Hitler’s B-Day”! You see, the last couple years threats were made on that day and last year less than 1/3 of the students went to school on that day because of the terrorist like (celebrate Hitler) agenda. The school is “cleverly” calling the day “Faculty Day” but “everyone” knows “WHY” they are getting the day off!

My thoughts are “we” DO NOT GIVE INTO THESE TYPE - - - TERRORIST - - - TACTICS! They will give off for H-B-Day in disguise (“under popular demand”)…but not for Good Friday! …Baloney!!! I told my kids they could take Good Friday off in protest and did so while on my soapbox about how “maybe if the school would pay more attention to RIGHT issues…on…and on…and on…”

Well, today my kids are texting me saying the buzz around school is that many if not most are NOT going to school on Friday in protest. So now I can’t help to wonder if I am not at least playing a part in this “revolution”.

Right or wrong in “us” (me, my kids, and others) voicing this opinion and suggesting “another day” a “Good Day” off as a matter of principle?

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The school knows there will be issues on a particular day and they act by telling you to keep your kid home on that day. You are mad about that why? Would you rather not "give in" to these terrorist threats and have you kid hurt? Not me...if I catch wind of anything bad going on someplace my kid is going to be, he's not going..no matter if the officials say don't come or not.

As for getting off for Good Friday, my kids are off :).

3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some, a small group, are using it as an excuse to celebrate an evil day (Hitler’s Birthday); and get the day off, they have succeeded in giving all the students the day off. The threats are basically empty and I don’t like the idea of empowering them, especially for the attention they draw to evil, by rewarding it.

I believe after 911 most people would agree that they will not stop flying, as it would accomplish little more than empowering that terrorist act and giving them what they want. I see this in a similar light.

I was surprised to find to find mine didn’t get Good Friday off, and that was the icing on the cake.

4. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I agree that we shouldn't just stop activites such as school for idle threats, but if there is the possibility that something is actually going to happen I agree with not having school that day.

As for the airlines, yes we keep flying, but I guarantee that if they get a credible threat they will not fly. They aren't going to take the chance and I agree with that. It's a horrible position that we are in that we have such threats, but to ignore the threat and have something horrible happen would be a worse situation.

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a tough choice. Last year my daugther went and said she was glad she did. There were a lot of police throughout the school.

BTW, my permission to stay home Good Friday has been out ranked tonight; my kids were late to school today and the wife says now they don't get the day off. :tonofbricks: