1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good News Bible Translation

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Brian K., Nov 7, 2003.

1. Brian K.

Brian K. New Member

Can someone help me out here, what do people think of the gnb translation? I have always liked the revised standard version.

I recently saw The Gospel of John movie -- which I hear is a word-for-word rendition of the good news bible version. Here's some info about the translation:

http://www.gospelofjohnthefilm.com/behind/screenplay.aspx

What's the 4-1-1 on the good news bible translation?
    (btw: the movie was very good)

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hi, Brian...

To the best of my knowledge, the GNB (aka TEV) is mainly a paraphrase - and I personally try to stay away from paraphrases...

God bless!

3. Forever settled in heaven

it was a good translation in terms of consistency in its philosophy n practice of translation. the GNB was one of the 1st consistent meaning-based translations, i.e. it sought to communicated the meaning (n not necessary the forms) of the Gk n Heb into the English.

it had the added advantage of field testing, making sure that its intended reader/audience was sampled for understanding of the developing translation--rather than merely depending on the hunches of a few scholars of how others might respond to each rendering.

4. Brian K.

Brian K. New Member

Thanks for the replies! As long as the paraphrase captures the right meaning, that sounds good to me. The movie -- Gospel of John -- flowed nicely and was great for the kids. So, I'm thankful for the graceful paraphrasing in the GNB translation.

5. jsg718

jsg718 New Member

Also saw Gospel of John of recently and agree -- Great Film!

The gnb translation may turn out to be a great resource for other filmmakers looking to bring parts of the bible to life.

6. Forever settled in heaven

sometimes it takes a generation to rehabilitate a bible n repent of triggerhappiness.

in the latest case, it's the GNB.

a couple years back, it was the RSV.

n almost 400 yrs ago, it was the new-fangled KJB! [​IMG]

7. jsg718

jsg718 New Member