1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Good News From Iraq

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Rocko9, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

A letter from Ray Reynolds, a medic in the Iowa Army National Guard, serving in Iraq
    Dec 3, 2004

As I head off to Baghdad for the final weeks of my stay in Iraq, I wanted to say thanks to all of you who did not believe the media. They have done a very poor job of covering everything that has happened. I am sorry that I have not been able to visit all of you during my two week leave back home. And just so you can rest at night knowing something is happening in Iraq that is noteworthy, I thought I would pass this on to you. This is the list of things that has happened in Iraq recently: (Please share it with your friends and compare it to the version that your paper is producing.)

Over 400,000 kids have up-to-date immunizations.
    School attendance is up 80% from levels before the war.
    Over 1,500 schools have been renovated and rid of the weapons stored there so education can occur.
    The port of Uhm Qasar was renovated so grain can be off-loaded from ships faster.
    The country had its first 2 billion barrel export of oil in August.
    Over 4.5 million people have clean drinking water for the first time ever in Iraq.
    The country now receives 2 times the electrical power it did before the war.
    100% of the hospitals are open and fully staffed, compared to 35% before the war.
    Elections are taking place in every major city, and city councils are in place.
    Sewer and water lines are installed in every major city.
    Over 60,000 police are patrolling the streets.
    Over 100,000 Iraqi civil defense police are securing the country.
    Over 80,000 Iraqi soldiers are patrolling the streets side by side with US soldiers.
    Over 400,000 people have telephones for the first time ever.
    Students are taught field sanitation and hand washing techniques to prevent the spread of germs.
    An interim constitution has been signed.
    Girls are allowed to attend school.
    Textbooks that don't mention Saddam are in the schools for the first time in 30 years.
    Don't believe for one second that these people do not want us there. I have met many, many people from Iraq that want us there, and in a bad way. They say they will never see the freedoms we talk about but they hope their children will. We are doing a good job in Iraq and I challenge anyone, anywhere to dispute me on these facts. If you are like me and very disgusted with how this period of rebuilding has been portrayed, email this to a friend and let them know there are good things happening.

Ray Reynolds, SFC Iowa Army National Guard 234th Signal Battalion

So anyone else have some good news?
    How about you Dragoon68 , have got anything for us?

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shhh! Don't let this get out. Everybody knows nothing good ever happens over there. ;)

3. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

We always hear that no one ever reports the good things that are going on over there, so I would expect that their should be a ton of comments about recent reports of the good that is happening in Iraq. C'mon folks , now is the time to prove that the naysayers are wrong.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Before I moved, my next door neighbor was recently returned from Iraq. I had dinner with him this weekend. He still gets letters and emails from Iraqi families and children that he befriended when he was over there. In fact, for his birthday, some people in Iraq gathered enough money to send him flowers ono his birthday (gotta love the internet).

It would be terrible, of course, if the media were to report that this sort of thing goes on.

5. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

Thanks Johnv, I'm glad you posted. Irregardless of how most of us feel about our presence in Iraq I do feel optimistic about our soldiers reaching out to make a difference in the lives of Iraqi citizens. God Bless all our soldiers.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did anyone see where Eleanor Clift compared our soldiers to poorly paid mercenaries?

You can find a response at Realpolitics.com.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

And not one of those things is worth the life of one precious American soldier. Their mission should not be to help people get shots or immunized in a foreign land, but rather to defend our homeland from enemies. Iraq was not equipped to harm us.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only someone with a terribly narrow mind about what it takes to finish a victory would ever make such a statement.

The cheap way to do it of course is to become Saddam and indiscriminately kill anyone who looks like a problem.

Please refer to the reconstruction successes in Japan and Germany that gave us two of our best, most reliable Cold War and economic allies.

Also refer to the abject failure of the Allies in rebuilding their enemies after WW I.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

Yes, but in the end they will still hate our guts. France will never forgive the US and GB for bailing them out - twice. If not for the US, Canada would be speaking Russian but this goes unnoticed.

Savage predicts that when they get their Muslam law they will kick us out and join with Iran. Seems reasonable to me.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I dont' mean to disagree, but rarely are we reminded that if it were not for France, we'd likely be an English colony today. You know, back when France actually had a military force :eek:

11. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

Iraqi Police Graduate 282 Officers from Advanced, Specialty Courses
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 26, 2005 – The Iraqi Police Service graduated 282 police officers from advanced and specialty courses Aug. 25 at Iraq's Adnan Training Facility.
    http://www.dod.mil/news/Aug2005/20050826_2536.html
    [​IMG]
    or
    The positive topic on good news from Iraq.
    Is their not one good thing happening in Iraq on a day to day basis?

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Well, Rocko, that's an old letter and I'd read it before. The constitution - or not - is the big news now along with the tragic stampede deaths.

I'm sure there is good news somewhere but it's way overshadowed these days with fighting, tensions and uncertainty.

13. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member