1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Google rebuffs U.S. gov't demand for search data

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ben W, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

The subpoena was what was asked for just last week. Has the court acted on it yet? </font>[/QUOTE]Everyone keeps referring to "the" subpoena. So it appears there is one in existence, but non-the-less, google has said they would resist it. So now we see the utility and necessity of the Bush method.

2. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

The search engines monitor every thing you do online and everywhere you go, especially Google, and just for money not protect anyone. Why are we comfortable with that, but not a limited govenment search?

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

The government has always promised limits, but it never keeps those promises.

[ January 22, 2006, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: poncho ]

4. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Poncho, apparently the same is true for business. Corporations now know everything about you. That seems more of a threat to me.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there any power you would prohibit President Bush from having, Bunyon, or would you be pleased as punch if Bush declared himself Emperor for Life and officially suspended the U.S. constitution?

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Me too Bunyon. Especially today as corporations and government are joined at the hip. Some call that fascism. Mussolini certainly did.

7. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

bunyon,

How is this a limited government search? If they are allowed to legally obtain the information now, under the guise of stopping children from accessing sites, what is to stop them from keeping databases of everything American citizens search for on the Internet? It is not the government's right, and it certainly is not constitutional.

As far as Google knowing what people search for... Everyone has the right to not search on google or any other search engine. We have a choice in the matter.

8. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

They are only asking for a weeks worth of information and some random sites. That is limited. Subpoenas, by there very nature, are limiting.

But don't you have any concerns that your cable company, your online provider, and your bank are all keeping vital states on all you activities.
    Pirvacy is now an illusion for the most part. It does not make sense to me that we would allow private companies to keep all the details of our lives, but we wont let the gov have a weeks worth for a good cause.

9. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

KenH, I want Bush to rule the known world without hindrance! Just kidding you. I already told you if he as broken the "spirit of the law" by using information for personal or political gain, I will call for his impeachment myself. But as it stands, it appears the president is being a good leader and making command decisions that have to be made to deal with extreme and exigent circumstances. Even in my days as a police officer, I could forgo probable cause hearing and search and arrest warrants if I could show exigent circumstances.

But it seems you wont give Bush the benefit of the doubt. You don't want him searching with or without a warrant.

10. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Poncho, that is one place we can agree. The big multinational corps with there secret off shore accounts and their Washington lobbyist is the greatest threat to our freedom I can think of today.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are voluntary associations, Bunyon. I don't have to have cable. I don't have to have an online provider. I don't even have to have a bank.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, actually protecting and using our rights guaranteed by the U.S. constitution is really a threat.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

13. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

KenH, I am sure you are aware that your association with the United States Govenment is voluntary also. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a lot of areas, I wish that were true. :D

15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Those are voluntary associations, Bunyon. I don't have to have cable. I don't have to have an online provider. I don't even have to have a bank. </font>[/QUOTE]I was going to say the same thing as KenH

16. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

17. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

So I'll say the same thing back. You do realize that your association with the United States Government is voluntary also? [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

We are the government of the United States Bunyon. George Bush is our servant we are not his servants. Nor are we just chattle to be corraled branded tracked traced manipulated and scared into servitude to multinational corporations that have gained control of congress and the presidency of these United States.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ain't leaving, Bunyon. [​IMG] Instead, I expect the federal government to adhere to the U.S. constitution and federal law.

20. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

In other words Poncho, you can give up you citizinship and leave the country. Oh, I forgot, you can't escape the secret one world govenment. [​IMG]