1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP Continues Rejection of Limited Government Conservatism

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by KenH, Nov 17, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like the GOP will continue with the same old, same old that resulted in being thumped last week. They will probably get thumped even worse in 2008. Hillary will probably face some serious competition now for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination. It will be extremely attractive now since the GOP appears to be bent on self-destruction.

Boehner, Blunt take top GOP House posts

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republicans chose Rep. John Boehner as minority leader Friday, succeeding Speaker Dennis Hastert in the top GOP leadership post for the Democratic-controlled House that convenes in January.

Boehner defeated Indiana conservative Mike Pence. The vote tally was 168-27 with one vote for Texas Rep. Joe Barton.

- www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/17/house.republicans.ap/index.html

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe. Maybe not.

http://www.cnsnews.com/ThisHour.asp#GOP%20Will%20'Force%20Democrats%20to%20Vote%20Like%20Democrats'

GOP Will 'Force Democrats to Vote Like Democrats'

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri will serve as the House Republican Whip for the 110th Congress. Following his election to the post on Friday, Blunt said Republicans will make sure Democrats are finally forced to govern. "Under this Republican leadership, the job of the Minority Whip will no longer be to go to the House floor every day and lose. Instead, each time we hold our team together and force the Democrats to vote like Democrats, we'll be taking one more step toward recapturing our majority in 2008," Blunt said in a news release. He noted that 149 Democrats on Thursday bucked Nancy Pelosi's choice of majority leader. "We'll work each day to give those Democrats a viable alternative to her liberal, San Francisco agenda," said Blunt, who insists that although Republicans lost the election, Republican ideas did not. He said Republicans will work together to "advance an agenda aimed at limited government, personal responsibility, and economic and national security."

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Republicans keep talking the talk but when it comes to actually walking the walk by electing a limited government conservative to be their leader they continue to fail to do so.

We'll see how happy the limited government conservatives who are still left in the GOP are when they end up nominating someone like Guiliani or McCain as the 2008 GOP presidential nominee.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sounds a little late, but welcome

5. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I'm think the only salvation for the Republican Party rests in Newt Gingrich. He's rested, read, ready and the only one that could debate anyone the Donkeys nominate. His misguided marital swaps will hurt though.

The religious right isn't gonna support Rudy, McCain's insane and will prove it crunch time, Condi's not running, nor is Cheney.

6. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Gingrich turned out to love big government, too. It's a disease that affects all politicians of all stripes, as soon as they get some power.

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I sure hope the GOP runs Gingrich for President; I think it will give the democrats the ability to win in 2008. :thumbs:

8. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I wonder that anyone beside Gingrich could beat them. On the other hand I can't see Hillary winning at all. I'm in a rut here.

9. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

If the democrats are smart and good tacticians, they will take a lesson from the last election and put up more conservatives and moderates. Rove's idea of winning with an highly motivated minority of voters gives them an opening to take over the center.

Rove's idea isn't that new or clever, BTW. Lenin advocated the same tactics.

10. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Affirmative! 'Marital swaps' were not his only misguided action. Perhaps 'tis only my opinion, but I feel the man burned some political bridges.

11. Terry_Herrington

I agree; I don't necessarily see Hillary Clinton winning the democratic nomination. It could easily go to someone like Joseph Biden instead. In fact, at this point, nothing concerning the democratic nomination, can be taken for granted by any candidate.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Terry_Herrington
    I sure hope the GOP runs Gingrich for President; I think it will give the democrats the ability to win in 2008. :thumbs:

You may be right. Democrats don't seem to mind the sexual escapades of their politicians, saying "it's all about sex". It's OK with them to even commit perjury when "it's all about sex"

Republicans, on the other hand, usually hold their candidates to a little higher standard.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see Biden making it. I am surprised that he is even considering running again after his previous effort collapsed due to his plagerism.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is my considered opinion that Biden is mostly a windbag and his run for the nomination will go absolutely nowhere.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Yes they do, and for that I'm thankful.

Seems that when a Democrat commits offence, neither party prosecutes, but when a Republican does, both parties prosecute.

17. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Biden's run won't go anywhere, if it even gets started.

18. Terry_Herrington

I just might disagree, but regardless of which democrat it is, someone's candidacy will go somewhere. I hope, depending on who the candidate is, it ends up in the White House in January of 2009!