1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GOP senator says judges were told of phone spying

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've known this for many months, Rev.

Of course, individual rights alarmists ignore it in order to continue their Bush bashing.

Even the FISA Appeals Court ruled that FISA did not take away the President's war fighting authority granted under the Constitution and Congressional statutes.

This , too, is ignored.

Truth and facts are usually the first casualties of the liberal agenda.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All their rantings are just a political tactic to win back power. This wire tapping garbage ranks rith up there with the stolen election rantings. Not one case brought to court with a finding to support it. Just hysterical screeching. Kind of like the "Right wing conspiracy" rantings of hillary.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

So, are you all claiming that "informing" a judge of an action is the same as obtaining a warrant? Or as good as?

To get a warrant, the monitors would've had to make a rudimentary case for why it was necessary. Did they not ask for one or was it not approved? Well, Hatch didn't say the judges approved the actions, but he didn't say they were asked either. All this is still pretty dodgy.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Hmmm....

Maybe I should just tell a judge I am going to knock off a liquor store. Then it will be perfectly legal.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The data gathered was not your phone conversation, but who you are calling . . .

It cannot be used in a court without a warrant . . .

And the notification of the court . . . was a classified court . . . they approve legal monitoring, and they did not object.

Minor points.

PS - your data is public domain . . . major point.

7. Magnetic Poles

No it isn't. It is private between you and your phone company. They need it to render an invoice. It is NOT public domain in any sense.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Post your phone number and I'll post your phone records . . .

;) Your phone records have been in the public domain. I personally think that is illegal, but I have been told repeatedly that foreign entities should have access while the USA cannot . . . A different view of American Liberty.

I have told you and others repeatedly, that the privacy that you think you have and that you think the ACLU fought for is not what you have. The ACLU fought to protect lawyers from wiretapping when lawyers choose to represent terrorists.

The conversations cannot be used in a court of law - because they are intel and not warranted surveillance. Big difference - intel is to prevent the enemy from killing US citizens. Warrants are to prosecute lawbreakers. I agree with this requirement - just because a lawyer gets greedy is no reason to send him or her to jail.

Again, let's surf up your phone number.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

"I would say the most powerful investigative tool right now is cell records,"

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060106-5919.html

10. Magnetic Poles

EG, you won't find mine! ;) However, just because something is published doesn't make it "public domain". Look in your phone directory. It probably has a copyright notice.

The latest John Grishom novel can be purchased, but just because I can locate it, doesn't make it public domain. I have worked for a number of phone companies, and one of the most sacred trusts was, and still should be, privacy of customer conversations and call detail records.

I can assure you, they are not public domain in any legal sense.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Actually, terrorists already have yours . . .

;)

12. Magnetic Poles

Well, when Osama calls, I'll tell him you send your regards! :laugh:

13. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

He will kill you and you will have earned my respect - just make certain that you mention pre__dent . . . and assassination in the same sentance so that my colleagues (and their software) will have a Constitutional chance of avenging your sacrifice.

;)