1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gospel regeneration, is it biblical? Yes? No?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Jan 11, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Do you view regeneration and salvation as the same?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, whereunto I was appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher. 2 Tim 1:10,11

The one Paul preached.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Saved' means what? Bound for eternal bliss in heaven? Show it to be so.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll tell you what the gospel is not; it is NOT a salvific formula or incantation whereby one can invoke the Spirit to grant immortality. I believe there's probably many here that have exactly that notion of it.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

1 Cor 15
    1 Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.
    3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve. 6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep. 7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles. 8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.
    9 For I am the least of the apostles, who am not worthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me. 11 Therefore, whether it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed.

The gospel in a nutshell. The gospel is the good news that Christ died for our sins. This matters because the wages of sin is eternal death. Christ rose from the dead. This matters because we can know that we will have eternal life with Christ. All this is possible because the gospel has been preached to us and we believed. Eternal life is received through faith in the gospel (good news) that Christ paid for our sins and grants us eternal life.

I don't know what gospel you're preaching.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saved (sozo) means what? Bound for eternal bliss in heaven? Show it to be so.

Whatever 'saved' means, it depends on whether we 'hold fast' or not.

AMEN!

And this is were we part company. Faith is a fruit of the Spirit. For one to believe requires for that one to be alive. Dead people do nothing.

Exactly the same one you posted, but I'm not a preacher.

7. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel isn't the gospel without the action.

The Scriptures sitting on the desk have no power to jump up and speak.

The Scriptures are implanted in the believer's heart not just so they might not sin against God, but are living to be shared. No harvest is taken in and not shared.

It is in the spreading of the seed of the gospel that must take place before the plants can take root and grow.

But there is a process that some would neglect to consider. Any gardener and farmer recognizes the process.

The ground must be selected and prepared to receive the seed.

Unprepared is unregenerate and incapable of producing a harvest, and prepared is regenerated not only does it accept the seed but a great harvest is granted. This principle is as Christ taught.

It is the owner of the dirt that selects the seed, determines use of the ground, and when, how, and to what extent the ground is prepared, when to sow, and is the lord of the harvest.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It means saved from the penalty of sin.

What is your definition? You've told us what it isn't. Now tell us what it is.

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you mean saved in the eternal sense, prove it. Scripture please.

Saved, as opposed to lost. Saved, as having been found as a lost sheep and brought home.

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I would have a difficult time answering your question in any cognizant way based on what you see as the gospel, though you are on the right track in as far as you take it; your kerygma is correct, but insufficient.

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Of course not... Though words (kerygma) are used to EXPRESS the gospel, the actual gospel is more than that -- it is the action that those expressed words detail.

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I do not, but I am not answering for the person you asked.

13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Much better expression of the kerygma! Of course it is -- it is Scripture!

I would bold the actions of Christ, for that is truly the gospel that is expressed via words.

Additionally, I would add that the gospel involves living in community relationships, marriage, family, church, and with the "oikos" of our daily lives, as well as a hope for and expectation to the glorification that comes our way one day after persevering in the faith.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

"Salvific formula"? "Incantation"? What are you talking about??
    The gospel is the GOOD NEWS of what Christ has done.
    As GL said, the actions of Christ. We are to have faith in this news to receive eternal life. We are saved from the wages of sin, which is eternal death.

I still don't have a clue as to what you think we are saved from.

15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Yes I do. :thumbsup:

16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe the Mormon gospel is sending people to hell? If so, why.

AMEN!

Eternal life is a free gift from God, it is not a reward for an act of the creature. It is not dependent upon our will or others will, it is totally dependent upon the birth from above.

17. mandym

mandym New Member

There is nothing biblical or Baptist about that heresy

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Obviously yes because they preach a different gospel of a made up Jesus.
    What does that have to do with the real gospel?

So no faith required?

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take heed to thyself, and to thy teaching. Continue in these things; for in doing this thou shalt save both thyself and them that hear thee. 1 Tim 4:16

What's up with this comment from Paul? Was Timothy not yet regenerated? Did he not have eternal life yet?

20. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe that salvation involves more than regeneration but it is a Biblical fact that one whom God the Holy Spirit has regenerated will be glorified!

Philippians 1:6, KJV
    Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform [it] until the day of Jesus Christ:

Romans 8:28-30, KJV
    28. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
    29. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
    30. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

+++++++++++

Now folks, the Doctrine of Grace did not originate with Paul It originated with the Triune Godhead otherwise it is a foolish doctrine!

++++++++++++++

John 3: 3, 6 KJV
    3. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
    6. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Our Lord Jesus Christ speaking to Nicodemus about regeneration by the Holy Spirit.

+++++++++++

John 3:16, KJV
    16. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    18. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 5:24, KJV
    1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

The necessity of the exercise of God given faith.

++++++++++++++++

John 6:44, KJV
    No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

The fruit of regeneration.

++++++++++++++

John 6:40, KJV
    And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Again the necessity of the exercise of God given faith.

+++++++++++++

John 6:39, KJV
    And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

The guarantee of the ultimate glorification of those chosen before the foundation of the world unto salvation in Jesus Christ and given to Him by God the Father.