1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Got layed off today

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Talk about kicking a guy when he's down...

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Sorry about your job, I have been there also, my shop where I worked 15 years closed down about 6 years ago. It is difficult not to worry, but trust in God and have a positive attitude. As soon as the holidays are over, hit the unemployment office and fill out as many resumes as possible. That is what I did, and was back to work in 4 weeks. I sent out so many resumes I was getting job offers for 2 years. If you throw enough spagetti against the wall, some of it is bound to stick.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already filed online. I will send resumes all over prior to New Years on career builder, Monster, etc.. But yes using the unemployment offices job database would be a good idea also. Thats how I found my job to start with.

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I had a preacher buddy who was having trouble at his church---he calls me asking me just how I'd go about passing out resumes if I were him----I told him that if I were him and I knew the prediciment I was in that I'd be mailing out resumes "bulk mail"!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh:----he hadn't ever had to pass out resumes before---I HAD----on more than one happy occasion!!!

So he took me up on it----I saw him at the next SBC meetings(I believe it was in Nashville) standing at one of the entrance doors with a big stack of resumes---handing them out to passing preachers-----about a year later he took a church about 5 miles from the one who wanted to run him off!!!

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will find one soon. I HATE having to rely on the county or the government to give me a check.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Me too. In my experience companies are loathe to lose good help.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually your employer paid into unemployment so your checks in essence will be coming from them.

8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Sorry about your job loss, I've been there and it isn't any fun at all.

If you are a machinist, come to Houston, Texas. We are flooded with machinist jobs at the present, especially if you can operate a manual lathe, verticle turret lathe, or horizontal mill.

9. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I was in management for nearly 50 years and most of the time it was my decision whom to hire also whom to fire. The determining factor in making this decision was a lost word today, productivity If you were a top producer you had job security if you were last in productivity you were the first to be layed off. This is the only fair and equal way to handle this unpleasant responsibility which is one of the most difficult decision management has to make. Fortunately I did not have to deal with unions.

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

Of course the other side of this is that in theory if your employer did not have to pay into unemployment they could have paid you more, so the reality is that is was YOUR money that was paid in.

Unemployment is not charity or government welfare, it is insurance that we have been paying for with every paycheck we ever received. I for one was glad to take it when I needed it.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My numbers and production was always red hot. They never once bothered me about job performance when I worked in shipping. I think the issue was that I was dealing with politics.

I noticed that the son of a co-lead kept his job. One day at work he got so angry he was about to head into the clerks office and punch out that clerk. About 4 people had to restrain him as he was yelling and screaming.

Also I noticed how all the people of a certain family kept their jobs. A certain female whom is a sister of one of the supervisors wife often was mean and sarcastic, but she kept her job. Her numbers were not always the best and she was not always the best worker. But since she is the sister of the supervisors wife, she stuck around.

Its plain and simple dirty politics. People tried to warn me about it, but I was too focused on doing my job, and about keeping up my production I did not see the light of day! Its not about how good I was, its about who runs the game.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not. I have 5 years experience in the shipping industry. I have worked in inventory, am certified on reach and sit down forklifts. Some electronic pallet jacks, scissors lift, wrapping machine.

I have experience as a material handler for 2 different warehouses, I have worked in returns, and I have experience as a shipping clerk. I was in charge of shipping via manual worldship of FED/UPS, and also US Postal shipments, and export shipments. I know open order reports, pick completed reports, excel, word, MS Outlook, etc…

Some people tell me that I need to be using the latest and greatest. However at our offices we used Windows XP and MS office 2000. So what some tell me is complete hogwash. Plenty of offices out there are using older software.

#72 evangelist6589, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
  13. marke

marke New Member

Thanks for the good encouragement from the word of God. The Lord is so good to us, especially considering how we don't deserve it. God bless you for sharing.

14. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

You need to put yourself in that supervisors shoes. If you had to go home and explain to your wife, "Honey I fired your sister today", how long would it be before you got to sleep in your bed? He just took the easy way out.

I don't know what part of the country your in, but Mississippi is a pretty good place to live and work. Pontotoc (here where I live) was just ruled by Bloomberg as the best place in the country to raise a family (but that may be of personal taste as well). We are a Right to work state. Wages may not be as high as some other places, but neither is cost of living, so it balances out. Crime is pretty low as well. We shoot first and ask who's that afterwards. just kidding, maybe?

I have never worked a union job, but there are some around, ATaT, Day Brite Lighting in Tupelo and maybe a few more.

Toyota just got their plant up and running. It is in Blue Springs, about 20 or 30 minutes up the road.
    Ashley Furniture is one of the largest furniture plants around here and they are about to build larger in their other plant in Ripley, MS. Then we have Lane Furniture in Tupelo, American Furniture in Pontotoc, and a host of others here in Pontotc. All these plants hire from to time and they all need shipping and receiving folks.
    Then again you might try truck driving. If I can drive a truck just about anyone can. I don't care much for it, but the pay can be good and great if you want to stay in it. All these plants need drivers. Ashley Furniture drivers make around 50 to 60,000+ a year plus benefits and they are looking for drivers NOW. Truck driving is easy work. The hardest part about it is learning the paper work. With GPS (which I personally don't use) getting to your destination is much easier, that's what I keep hearing the other drivers say. Some feel intimidated by a BIG TRUCK, but I would rather drive a big truck than a car, it much safer and whereas I can drive a car for three hour and feel like I have been beat to death, I can sit and drive a big truck for hours on end. Longest I think without stopping, around 9 or 10 hours. I was out running a ice storm coming into New Jersey.

I just thought I would at least give you something to think on while I'm praying for you. I'm 45 and I have never been out of work, I have taken jobs that no one else would do and it was not my choice of work, but it payed the bills and feed the kids.

Dell

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Yep. This explains why you backed Bro. Matt's post back on page one.

That says a lot....

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you for this. I do appreciate your support. Some of the self-help "christian authors" have brainwashed me in a way to thinking I should only do work that I love and am passionate about. But this cant be Biblical. I have applied for many jobs I think would be better for me, but I always get turned down. Maybe I will just seek out God's will and allow him to lead, rather than me applying to 50 jobs I am passionate about.

17. North Carolina Tentmaker

I would say yes and no to that evangelist. Apply for both. You might as well shoot for the moon and apply for the job you would be passionate about, what do you have to loose, they can't fire you for applying. At the same time I would not waste all my time on jobs I was not really qualified for. Apply for some you know you can get.

If there is a job you would love but cannot get, why not? what do you need to do to qualify yourself? Other education or experience? Short range goal is to get any job and get some money. Long range goals can be a lot more.

18. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reference was made above about living in a "Right To Work State".

This is a misnomer as the Constitution grants all of us the Right to Work!

I totally disagree with any State Law influenced by Labor Unions where an employee "must" join the union in order to work at any given location. This is not right!

We all however have the right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness..., which includes the Right To Work.

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There Are NO Truer Words....

....you, my brother, deserve a huge AMEN! While unions have served their good, and probably do some good, even today, the requirement to belong to a union to get a job is just wrong. :tear:

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You are in my prayers!