1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Government Cheese

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jailminister, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Should a church or ministry ever take money from the government or accept tax deductible gifts?
    Read this: ...The Salvation Army is being sued by current and former employees who say the government-funded group preaches religious and sexual intolerance to its staff. The workers accused the Salvation Army of creating a hostile work environment for about 600 employees who provide social services for more than 2,000 children in New York State. Plaintiffs in the federal lawsuit filed by the New York Civil Liberties Union charge that The Salvation Army made them pledge to preach the gospel, identify their church affiliation, and reveal staffers' sexual orientations. Donna Lieberman, who heads the N.Y.A.C.L.U. says the case is not about the right of the Salvation Army to promote its religion. She says it is about the $89 million the group receives from the government.

Now what is your opinion?

2. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

The Salvation Army is a denomination. They should have never taken a Federal Grant in the first place.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I agree. Any time you accept money from the government you can expect things like this to happen.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Salvation Army's "social" ministry is divorced from its "religious" ministry. Here in Casper, it HAS to be and there is a clear distinction between them.

But I agree that when one takes money from city, county, state or federal, they take the good with the bad. I personally would/could not.

5. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

May we bump this with the court decision requiring the "Catholic Charities" to offer contraception. They are on the dole and they must remember, "Come sheckles, come shackles".

The US Supreme Court has ruled. The 501 (c)3 designation and sign up is a BENEFIT. How many take it?

Thanks -----Bart

6. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Give me some cheese, my family is starvin' if you please, Never mind that big car, it don't matter who you are, all you do is smile and say, "cheese please".
    Well, ya better make it early to the grange hall,
    there's a line that starts to form around 8 or so,
    a great place to meet, all the town complete and a good place to find out what's in the know.
    It's a wonder the different people that you meet there, from the low-life to the chairman of the county fair, all in one accord, just a praisin' the Lord, and hopin' that big brother gives them their share.
    Give me some cheese..... (borrowed)

Thanks -----Bart

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, thank you for making that point. many people forget that the Salvation Army Church and Salvation Army charities are separate, though affiliated (just like the Old Time Gospel Hour is different than Thomas Road Baptist Church or Liberty Baptist College, or like Coral Ridge Ministries is different from Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, etc etc). In the case above, they're talking about the SA charity.
    WHile I'd agree with you, I think that allowing this case to be heard will decide how much a faith based group will need to do that. This is a situation where the testing of the courts is a good thing.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a different issue from a accepting federal charitable grant money. Generally, only a church is not required to file for 501c3 exemption. But if you have a non-church type of religious charity, like a food bank or the like, you'll likely need to file for 501c3 exemption to be exempt from income tax.