1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Government health plan premiums

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by targus, Jun 24, 2009.

1. targus

targus New Member

Should self selected high risk individuals such as smokers, illegal drug users, the overweight, the non-exercisers, alcoholics, etc. be allowed access to a taxpayer funded health care plan considering that those behaviors lead to illnesses that account for a lion's share of health care costs?

Should they be required to pay a premium for access to taxpayer funded health care?

What about the poor who engage in these self destructive behaviors?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    overweight is not always a result of self destructive behavior.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

And with that, you've hit on a major problem with government healthcare.

I can then say...."Well, since I'm paying for your healthcare, I have a right to tell you what habits you must and must not do."

I'm always amazed at folks who will rail against the Patriot act for it's violations of personal freedom...then they will support government healthcare, even though liberties will be heavily supressed through it. Not very consistent.

Doesn't matter if you're right or not. With big brother healthcare, they get to decide what habits cause what...and the lifestyle police will be out in full force.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

thought tbat was supose to be free health care for all americasn who are not currently covered by health insurance.

and the governement and the rich would control every facet of the poors life.

People who don't eat the food pyramid will be enxt, or those who don't eat tehir prescribeed cheerios every monring won't get the universal health care, which in reality wouldn't be universal if some are chosen not to recieve it.

One thing people fail to consider, is that the poor can not afford to live high and mighty, eating properly, bad for you food costs less, and causes weigth problems. Yet if they bought only healthy foods they'd go hungry most of a month, starving children.
    But this sounds logical and 'christian' to some, starving people, limiting health care, allowing those with costly health care to die.