1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Government Surveillance Cameras on Every Street Corner?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jun 29, 2007.

?
  1. Yes, whatever it takes.

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. No, this is the land of the free.

22 vote(s)
    88.0%
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you support the idea of the government placing a surveillance camera on every street corner in these United States?

I do not.

#1 KenH, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why not, Ken?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the land of the free.

I have read 1984.

If we are going to give up our freedom then al Qaeda has already won for all practical purposes. Of course, if Giuliani is correct and al Qaeda hates us because of our freedom(I think he is wrong) I guess that means that al Qaeda will leave us alone if we give up our freedom.

But I prefer that we keep our freedom and fight al Qaeda regardless of why they hate us.

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Alqaeda doesnt want us to put camaras on every street corner. that is ridiculous. Alqaeda wants control of the land that isreal is on.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.
    It's not necessary.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then go argue with Giuliani, then. That's his position.

My position is that al Qaeda hates us because of all of the political intrigue our federal government has been involved in since World War II in the Middle East, such as overthrowing the democratic Iranian government in 1953 and installing the Shah.

But instead of dealing with the issue Leviathan wants to take away our freedom.

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Guiliani has a position that Alqeada wants us to put cameras on every street corner?

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Because they hate our freedoms. As for cameras on every street corner, I don't think they are going to consult us about it anyway. Right now as I drive down the highway to work everyday I see a camera pointed at me about every exit or two, and there are RFID readers pointed at the highway to monitor passing vehicles.

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Which helps with traffic control and reporting and is wise.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Giuliani's position is that al Qaeda attacked us on 9/11/2001 because of our freedom. So based on his reasoning if we give up our freedom then al Qaeda won't attack us. I think that Giuliani's position is nonsense, but he may very well be your party's presidential nominee in 2008.

11. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It would appear that in New York City it is acceptable for government to film but others can only do it with government permission and they don't always get it...

12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

I would support the ACLU on this. Man did that hurt to say.

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Yeah, its all about control and reporting. It may be wise, depending on what your trying to accomplish.

14. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

What difference does it make? Seriously, I'm curious. When a crime is committed, the authorities are free to seize video from private businesses/citizens which may have caught the crime. Would there be any difference here?

This is a sticky situation for me. There is no question, as has been talked about on the media, that the cameras in London were the biggest single clue used to find the terrorists behind the July 7th attacks in the subways. More than likely, they will once again be used well to catch the perps who set today's car bombs. As far as catching people who have committed crimes, I love the idea. At the same time, I don't want the government to abuse the power, which they always do, by just vollowing private citizens around wherever they may go when they have done nothing wrong.

I wish there was a way to use them, but they could only be viewed by anyone if a proven crime had been committed. I don't see a way for it to happen like that.

Really no sense in arguing about it. It's going to happen anyway. We've already got it here in Houston with the "red light" cameras and a few "public security" cameras dowtown.

James

PS Another question I have in my own mind: We don't mind having more police officers on the streets to watch us in public, yet we have a problem with cameras doing the same. Why is that?

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I am confused by this. How does have a video camera on a street corner affect my freedom?

So have I. Very fascinating

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Al Qaeda hates us because we aren't them. It's that simple. They hated the west long before the 1950s (Sorry, Rep. Paul) and long before we had IPods and mosques next to churches (sorry, Rudy).

As for cameras on "every street corner," how will that help the local towns and areas where there are no "street corners" per se?

Sounds to me like we're trying to create a massive govt. bureacracy because another govt. bureacracy isn't doing its job securing our borders. Then again, weren't most of the 9/11 perps legal at one point? I know many had expired visas.

I digress: I oppose this plan due to cost and ineffectiveness and due to the fact that I'm suspicious of it taking away a citizen's privacy.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like more info on this before World War II.

Thanks.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless I have committed a crime it is none of the government's business to know where I am at or have been at.

#18 KenH, Jun 30, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  19. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I agree, but that wasn't the question.

The question was How does have a video camera on a street corner affect my freedom?

I am still interested in the answer to the question. So far, I am not clear on how this is a freedom issue. If the camera were in your house, or pointed directly at your house, I could understand the issue. But how is a camera on a public street corner a limit on freedom?

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I answered your question clearly enough, PL.

If you don't understand it, then you just aren't going to understand it.

I gotta go mow the front yard now. Have a great day!