1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grace Robbery

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Mar 15, 2008.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay folks. We have been bantering it about a bit.

I will just be straight with you - I have become weary of those who would tell me what I can and cannot do in my Christian life. They want to tell me how I can dress, what kind of music I can listen to, where I can and can't go, how I have to worship, what Bible I can use, and every other minute detail of my life. Of course, they have no Bible support for their rules and regulations.

Are these those kind of men described in Galatians 2v4-6? Are these the grace robbers of the 21st century?

#1 NaasPreacher (C4K), Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I feel your pain...that's why I left and continue to depart from those who would try to do this with me. There is no reason to be dogmatic about some things and we have turned away so many from our faith when we have been.

As humans we often are happy to discover some new dogmatism and try to create unique rules for others. While there are some areas where I willfully and certainly need to accept the counsel of others, we must careful how we go in the name of "accountability."

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I grow weary of it as well Roger. It seems that for many today, Christianity is about how one lives and not ones relationship with Christ. Soul liberty is the ignored Baptist distinctive amongst many Baptists today.

So I would answer your question with a resounding yes.

4. belvedere

belvedere Member

Agreed, Roger. AMEN!

5. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I myself am right there with you. It happens in Churches, and shhhhh(don't tell anyone :smilewinkgrin:), it happens right here on the BB. Seriously though, I think this is the reason "home Churches" are springing up at an alarming rate, and Church membership on the whole is deminishing. The only Churches that are growing in numbers are the H&W,prosperity,WOF type Churches(that is a thread in itself.) If numbers are getting smaller, I think the "mans doctrines" that are added are a reason that people are leaving or just not coming. Churches are losing a battle with the "world", and these man-made distinctives are just helping to keep the ball rolling.

Edit: And I might add, even though Baptist is the greatest denomination out there, we are the biggest instigators to this bullhockey.

#5 JerryL, Mar 15, 2008
  6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Excellent post Roger, I agree!

It is quite wearisome to have people continually try to provide a list of dos and dont's that are no where to be found in Scripture.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you weary of Christ? Of Paul, James and Peter? Each those told us what we can and cannot do.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Thou shalt not have drums in the church house.
    The pastor shalt wear a black suit and black tie.
    Thy men shalt not have hair that goes beyond the neck line.
    Thou shalt not rap praises in the church.
    Thou shalt have worship services only on Sunday, Sunday night, and Wednesday night.
    Thou shalt only sing hymns from the red book hymnal.
    Thou shalt not have the Bible embedded in a magazine that is geared toward reaching teens for Christ.
    Women should not wear pants in the worship center.
    Thou shalt only use the KJV Bible.
    Thou shalt not celebrate Christmas.
    Thou shalt not celebrate Easter.
    Thou shalt not hunt easter eggs as it is an abomination to the Lord.
    Thou shalt not project the words of worship songs on a screen.
    Thou shalt not tithe.
    Thou shalt tithe.
    Thou shalt not ......
    And the list could go on and on of the grace robbing that has been occurring and continues to occur.

#8 sag38, Mar 15, 2008
  9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm not sure that Paul had this sort of thing specifically in mind here, but the principle applies, I would think.

In comment to Aaron, I certainly am not weary with Jesus, James, John, Jude, Paul, Peter or Apollos or any other Biblical writer.

I am very weary with a lot of the other George, Fred, Tom, Dick and Harrys out there who somehow think they have special insight from the first group, and feel it their job to enlighten me about it! :rolleyes:

Ed

#9 EdSutton, Mar 15, 2008
  10. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

"Grace Robbery"...lol! Good one, Roger!

Maybe it's just me, but I'm perfectly happy going by what the Bible says, and adjusting my life based on that. I really couldn't care less what people think about how I look, the music I prefer, how I raise my children, etc. But it is interesting to me to read how others do it. There are as many different opinions out there as there are Christians, and they're like snowflakes; no two are alike, so why would I even bother trying to perfect myself in Man's eyes? God knows what is my intention, what is truely in my heart, and God is the only one I aim to please.

love,

Sopranette

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Very good way of putting it Ed.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your question misses the point. Those on this board who like to print rules, most of which have no Scriptural foundation, memorize a set of standards, then under their own power, try to obey them, miss the entire meaning of the Gospel. On top of that, they like to stick their fat noses into other's lives and think they should also obey their made up rules. Half the time they are gossiping about others and stuffing themselves at pot lucks. Jesus referred to this type as whitewashed tombs, a brood of vipers, or the modern name is Pharisee.

On the other hand, those walking in the Spirit, becoming more like Jesus each day, rely on His power to lead their lives, and know what is right and wrong in the Lord. It becomes a natural part of life, unlike above.

Sag38, excellent list of ignorant rules.

#12 saturneptune, Mar 15, 2008
  13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am more than willing to accept Bible teachings.

These grace robbers are not God and don't support their rules with His word.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I wish I had read your answer first :)

15. JerryL

JerryL New Member

That'll Preach!!:applause:

16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think so. There are many people in church who attempt to add to God's Word and Law. While God certainly lays down certain rules (etc) many of the rules people come up with are not in Scripture nor are they implied in Scripture.

Some examples?

Men must wear suits to church (I never do, btw)

Mens hair must not touch the collar

No dancing

No rock music

You must support "this" cause or "this" candidate (usually from the James Dobsons of the world)

You must use a certain translation of God's Word

You must not swim in pools, at the beach, or lake

No playing cards

See, none of that is Scriptural. It is nothing more than rules people have come up with "in order to bring us into bondage" (Gal 2:4). It works because legalism sells. Why? Because it makes us feel good about ourselves. It allows us to look down our nose at someone else. It is fleshly pride. How many professing Christians are just like the Publican in Luke 18:9-14? I say professing because Jesus made it clear that such people are not saved (vs14).

It is amazing how legalistic the church can be at times. While it is amazing it should not be surprising. Paul dealt with it, and so will we...

#16 Martin, Mar 15, 2008
  17. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

AMEN!:thumbs:

You can't pick and choose what "rules" you are going to live by in the Word of God. Either you live by God's "rules"/standards or man's. Grace is not a license to "do as you please". Are you just going to make up your own "grace" rules as you go along...all the while stating that it is your "Christian" liberty to do so?

God's Word is not a book of "suggestions"....either obey all that is commanded to the believer or none of it!

Godly living is NOT legalism!

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Dead right and amen.

As long as you give me God's standards from His word and not man's silly rules.

God's word makes up my "grace rules" - men try to rob them from me.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

However, memorizing rules and living up to them on ones own power is legalism, especially when over half of the rules listed in this thread are not Scriptural. I believe we are warned about such antics in the last few verses of Revelation.
    This mindset totally misses the heart of the Gospel. If that is the path one chooses, then rip out the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, for starters.

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well put. :thumbs:

We need to recover grace from the grace robbers.

I've found Charles Swindoll's The Grace Awaken quite useful along this line.