1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grand Canyon University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jack Matthews, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

We see ads for their online programs frequently, and their campus in Phoenix has a strong academic reputation. The history of the school is that it was established by Southern Baptists and was, for a long time, directly affiliated with the state Baptist convention in Arizona. It still bills itself as a "premier Christian university." I was just wondering whether it is still tied to Arizona Southern Baptists or if it is more non-denominational.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Standard Feb. 2, 2000

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The financially troubled school was snatched up in 2004 by Assemblies of God businessman Michael K. Clifford. A high school graduate and professional fundraising tycoon, Clifford installed Phoenix First Assembly of God's Pastor Tommy Barnett as university chancellor, but chose to run the school as a generically Christian for-profit business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_K._Clifford

The Chronicle of Higher Education September 3, 2004 "For the Love of God (and Money)"

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Did I hear that they also received some free land in the northeast somewhere in the last few months?

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know much about Grand Canyon, though I do have some colleagues who adjunct for their online schools.

From what I understand the school is a Christian based institution that has turned into a "for-profit" university following some financial difficulties. It is largely an online school that has students across the world. The school has probably grown alot because it doesn't have the ideological baggage of schools like Liberty or Regent.

They are in the process of recruiting a larger faculty, though I don't know how successful they have been with this. You can probably find out more just by checking them on Wiki. It is accredited, I think, and has a physical campus.

I don't know if I would say it has a "strong academic reputation" since for-profit pretty much dismisses it being taken seriously in the academic world. To my knowledge the school is non-denominational these days.

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grand Canyon is both online and has a strong on campus presence. In fact they are going to be playing D-1 athletics in the very near future in the Western Athletic Conference. They do operate as for profit which really is more of a tax standing then effecting the actual quality of the education. There are plenty of for profit diploma mills out there but that is function of the owners/ administration not a function or being "for profit".

Usually you can finish quicker at a for profit school, but in all likelihood it will cost you more in tuition and fees, don't be surprised if it doubles the cost. It really is a function of what you can pay and what your time is worth.

It is accredited so you shouldn't have trouble getting into grad schools though transferring credits could get tricky. Though my experience is transferring credits (not degrees) is always a bit of gamble regardless of where the credits come from.

Check out the school website: gcu.edu

My wife is a Grand Canyon grad and overall a good experience and had no trouble getting into a fairly prestigious public university grad school in Texas.

Back when it left the Arizona SBC mostly that was done to avoid being associated with the, at the time pending, fraud case going on in the Arizona SBC Foundation. No doubt there were other reasons as well associated with wanting to be independent concerning academics.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deal for Northfield campus falls through

8. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Actually, their tuition and fees look comparable to other private, Christian colleges. I would guess that they make most of their profit on their on-line programs, with that many students.

My youngest brother is looking at their graduate school. Apparently, their College of Business has quite a reputation for its quality, and for its teaching of ethical business practices.