1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Graphic video of Tulsa man as he was killed by cop who thought he pulled taser

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zaac, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The City of Tulsa is about to get a dose of reality in the form of a civil suit.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, what else is new? It was totally expected. If I was his family, I'd sue as well.

Bottom line... Another man that resisted arrest and ran from the police is dead. The lawsuit won't help him at all.

When will they ever learn?

Btw, the city of Tulsa is not involved in any of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#42 carpro, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Perhaps God allowed it to happen to help someone else.

Yes when will cops learn that they can't just shoot unarmed black men and get away with it forever?
    Then Tulsa County will be a party to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because we know from seeing the video and seeing the reports after that, that this was his goal - to shoot an unarmed black man and try to get away from it.

:BangHead:

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, me thinks you finally peeled back the thin veil of this member and exposed his hate filled agenda on this board. He lives to make everything a racially motivated act of hate by whites against blacks.

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That seems to be a direct contradiction. First you want him drawn and quartered, BUT, if he's a Christian, you'd "let him slide?" :BangHead: please explain your reasoning!

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

At no point did I say THIS man intended to shoot an unarmed black man so stop banging your head.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Story just keeps getting crazier.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And it turns out his "training" was not for 800 hours but for 300 hours. Although if you're going to lie about it, might as well go all in and say it was for 800 hours.

Bates worked for the Tulsa Police Department for a year in the 1960s. He'd been a reserve deputy since 2008, with 300 hours of training and 1,100 hours of community policing experience, according to the Sheriff's Office.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/us/tulsa-shooting-robert-bates-volunteer-deputy/

#49 InTheLight, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In the context of the quoted materials going back to the few posts, it certainly reads as if you are.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not in Zaac's nature to talk context.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Now think about it Ann. All the stuff I DO say, why would I need to contextualize a statement like that instead of just saying it?

I do wonder, though, why if the situation was under control, as it looked to be, why he would run up trying to use his taser? But then again, he shouldn't have been put in such a position to have to do something like that.

That guy's parents should be suing the pants off the department, county, city or anyone else associated with this madness.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

True, but sometimes we just want to be a wise guy and be brief. I know I've done it too.

I don't know and I couldn't say. What we DO know is that he is being charged. There is no wiping this one away. He is being treated just like anyone else who might have done something like this.

In our suing culture, do you think anything less would happen? Of course they will sue. There is no question about it.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Understand.

I feel sorry for him though. He's in the unfortunate situation of having an example made with his case for why law enforcement should not put anyone whom they aren't paying and who is not a full time officer in a life or death situation like this.

Praying for mercy on this one too. If things are as they appear( because he quickly dropped his side arm after realizing it wasn't his taser), maybe they will just fine him , give him community service and probation.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, I doubt it. I think like you said, he just may be made an example. :(

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 73 year old guy, Robert Bates, that shot a suspect is claiming he took firearm training classes from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department. Maricopa County denies they ever trained Bates.

Lisa Allen, chief media relations office for the sheriff's office there, said they had no record of Bates attending their training.

In fact, Allen said, that training is only available to members of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, meaning Bates would not have been eligible. The class, Allen said, has only been offered three times.

"We don't allow out-of-state people to take the class," she said.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/cour...cle_a6330f10-a9fb-51e3-ab5e-4d97b03c6c04.html

Meanwhile, the certification papers proving Bates received firearm training can't be found. And the Tulsa Sheriff's Department now admits that training requirements may be waived at the Sheriff's discretion:

Maj. Shannon Clark of the sheriff's office did say it's possible that some training requirements may have been waived. Sheriff Stanley Glanz has the authority to waive any department policies, Clark said.

"The policies within our organization are signed off by the sheriff, but there are also policies that give the sheriff the ability to waive any policy within our organization. That's part of being a sheriff's office," Clark told the newspaper.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/17/us/tulsa-shooting-robert-bates/index.html

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

At this point, why does it matter? He obviously knew how to use a gun.

Was he taser trained would be more pertinent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robert Bates is taking a family vacation in the Bahamas.

Yes, I realize he is free on $25,000 bail, but what kind of a message does it send the community to go on vacation a less than a week after you post bail?

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why does it matter? Will it make them more likely to think he pulled the trigger? The facts are what they are.

He may be taking a last fling at freedom before incarceration. He may be just getting away from agressive reporters.

What exactly is wrong with that?

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dunno, it just seems....wrong.