1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GrassFire.org: Obama, Clinton not serious about border fence

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Feb 28, 2008.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

A grassroots border security organization believes that neither Democratic presidential candidate would implement the Secure Fence Act if elected president in November.

At the recent Democratic debate carried on CNN, Senators Hillary Clinton (D-New York) and Barack Obama (D-Illinois) both said there might be some need for fencing in certain sections of the border. But both indicated their reluctance to complete the more than 700 miles of fencing called for by the Secure Fence Act of 2006.

LINK

2. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

Can you blame them? Even Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Republican led the charge to get the fence de-funded, and Texas is a border state!

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

http://www.senate.gov/~hutchison/pr011108.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 11, 2008

Senator Hutchison's Border Amendment: Myth V. Fact

Myth: The language “gutted” the border fence.

FACT: The amendment mandates 700 miles of fence along the U.S. – Mexico border. Of that, 370 miles of fence must be completed by the end of 2008. The Secure Fence Act did not have a requirement of 370 miles of fencing by December 2008.

Myth: The border fence language has little support among border representatives.

FACT: All Senators representing the four states that border Mexico, Senators John Cornyn (R-TX), Jon Kyl (R-AZ), John McCain (R-AZ) Pete Domenici (R-NM), Jeff Bingaman (D-NM), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), and Barbara Boxer (D-CA), have co-sponsored this language. Additionally, all three times the amendment was considered prior to the Omnibus Appropriations bill, it passed unanimously.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A virtual fence based on technology is the way to go, not a physical fence.

I agree with Senators Obama and Clinton about that.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think a virtual fence has merit, but there seems to be no consensus on implementation.