1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greater European Missions

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by bruren777, Dec 14, 2005.

1. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Our son has been with GEM since 1996, he as been to the mission field twice. Short term 1996 in Bourg D Osians, France, internship in 1999 for 9 months.

He got married in 2000, since then they had not been able to raise enough support for he, his wife and two children to go to France.

Our daughter inlaw sent us an em, telling us that GEM will match any funds for their support, ie you send $100., Gem matches with $100. You send $500. GEM matches with $500. I'm really surprised, I didn't know mission agencys did that, it seems they have a scholarship program.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never heard of this, nice however. Would be interesting to know how they can do it. If it is out of the general fund I'd think those that support the board itself might feel they had too much money and cut their giving :)

I wonder if they had someone set up an endowment or something for the purpose.

One of the Chrisitan colleges here has set up a big fund for operation costs, seems like the in thing to do now days so they don't have to do so much fund raising.

3. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

exscentric,
    I agree with you. I've known about GEM since 1996 and this is news to me. It's possible there is an endowment.

Southern Baptist Churches send their own missionaries with full support. All other missionaries get their support through deputation.

4. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Interesting.

5. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Re. Greater Europe Missions.
    I contacted GEM, there as a temporary program set up by an anonymous donor. The donor will match any amount up to $300., this is for a three month period ending in February, 2006.

This is a wonderful blessing. Particularly at this time when missionaries are having a hard time getting support.