1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greatest College Football Rivalries

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Jun 19, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some of the obvious older ones:

ARMY-NAVY

OHIO STATE-MICHIGAN

AUBURN-ALABAMA

YALE-HARVARD

GEORGIA-GEORGIA TECH

And a few less-big time:

NORWICH-MIDDLEBURY

LAFAYETTE-LEHIGH( The MOST-PLAYED rivalry!)

INDIANA-PURDUE

Obviously, I've left out a BUNCH! That's because, for this to be a FUN thread, we need YOUR participation. Now, it's YOUR turn!

2. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Amoung the less big time:
    Miami of Ohio vs University of Cincinnati

3. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Texas-Oklahoma

Texas-Texas A&M

Harvard-Yale

USC-UCLA

Oregon-Oregon State

Alabama-Auburn

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The biggest of them all- Michigan and Ohio State

Norte Dame and Purdue are a bit of rivialry as well as Norte Dame and Michigan

oh yeah- Michigan State and Michiagan as well.

Boy all this college football talk is getting me itchy for it to start back up again!

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was growing up, there was nothing like Oklahoma-Nebraska. And it, unlike the OU-Texas rivalry, usually exhibited mutual respect.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An old and significant rivalry...USC-NOTRE DAME.

It was started in a good-natured manner by Knute Rockne and Howard "Head Man" Jones in the 1920s(Can't remember the exact year) and this game has been a monkey wrench thrown into the running gears of each school's football prog when one or both has had national title aspirations. USC's recent prize-winning teams have known they had to get by Notre Dame to have any chance for a BCS spot, and that it would be no cakewalk despite their respective records.

Speaking of Notre Dame...they had a long and memorable series with ARMY. This series was DC'd for awhile when it became too venomous, was resumed in the 1950s, then DC'd again when it became obvious that Army's purpose was to produce Generals, not QBs & they became unable to fairly compete with ND any longer.

OLE MISS-LSU...There's more than just a little rancor between the student bodies of those two schools. They each have memories of bitter defeats from each other.

In 1971, CATV was very new to our area, and we often received the Mizlou Network here in S.Ohio. I was watching the annual football contest between the two schools, played at LSU that year, which became a one-sided LSU romp. LSU's Tom Casanova made two punt returns for TDs, and after the second one, the pro-LSU announcer made the mistake of reaching his mike out the window to better broadcast the crowd's cheering. Almost immediately a male voice hollered "**** Ole Miss!", but the announcer had the common sense to simply withdraw his mike and keep announcing as if nothing had happened, focusing upon Casanova's feats.

U.OF KENTUCKY-U.OF TENNESSEE...They useta play for a whiskey barrel, properly embellished by both schools, but the series became so one-sided in T's favor that K told'em to just keep the barrel, as it was too full of painful memories for K. This series is still played, as both schools are in the SEC, but the results are still dismal for Kentucky.

7. OCC

OCC Guest

Oklahoma-Nebraska :cool:

Florida-Florida State?
    Michigan-anybody?

Don't know if they're huge rivals but I like to watch Wisconsin-Ohio State.

8. OCC

OCC Guest

Let's take a twist...what college do you hate and cheer against all the time?

Me: Kentucky :mad:

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Me

Ohio State and Norter Dame :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ohio State because obviously I am a Michigan fan and I make it a point to spit out the window everytime I drive through Columbus. ;)

Norter Dame because they are a media darling- Why on earth do they deserve to get there own telvesion contract? :confused:

10. OCC

OCC Guest

LOL good points.

I like Notre Dame though. I went by there once just to see the stadium and I saw the field right through the gates. It was heaven on earth I tell ya. [​IMG] Now if only I could get to a game.

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Hey KJ I just noticed your from Windsor, I grew up in the Detroit Suburbs and my home church is located there. I have an aunt and uncle that live in Windsor.

Don't you have to be a good Catholic and bring your rosery with you to the games?

12. OCC

OCC Guest

Hey 4, that's cool! [​IMG]

I don't know...if that's the case then I guess I won't be very popular at the games. [​IMG]

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One I root AGAINST?

Brigham Young U in football....I hate to see anything named after a charlatan win at ANYTHING!

Oral Roberts U in basketball...See above!

14. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Harvard - Yale, unquestionably!

The scene & atmosphere on game day on Harvard's campus has to be seen to be believed.

First off, Harvard Stadium is a classic: built in 1903, it's one of those grand old horseshoe-shaped arenas. The inside is nothing spectacular as far as amenities go- the concrete seating is starkly utilitarian- but it's resplendent with tradition. It's the kind of place where one can just picture someone like Bronko Nagurski or Elroy Hirsch barreling down the sideline toward the end zone.

On fall game days, the air in Cambridge is cool & crisp, and you may get just the slightest (pleasant) scent of the Charles River just to the north. Once kickoff occurs, the rivalry is intense yet good-natured, with a crowd mostly awash in Harvard's crimson doing their Beacon Hill best to be tolerant of those impudent Yalie intruders!

I last walked through the old stadium on June 7th of this year, when I was in Boston for this year's commencement festivities. One of my nephews is now Crimson '05; and in the fall he's off to Yale for law school. I would suppose that in the future that combination will have a divisive effect upon his loyalties! [​IMG]

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems as if Yale has been largely dominant in the series lately. But Harvard pays'em back in ROWING season.

16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UC-Berkley v. Stanford, does anbodyelse matter?

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harvard/Yale? [​IMG]
    I doubt if they take football seriously up there in do-gooder country. It wouldn't be like the hate rivalries of Texas/Oklahoma or Miami/Florida St. or Alabama/Auburn.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am sure that Ivy leauge football is take just as seriously as football in the south and southwest.

19. Dannyboy

Dannyboy New Member

Noles vs. Gators (FSU vs. UF)
    Go Noles ! ! !

20. yabba

yabba New Member

Army/Navy
    Auburn/Alabama
    Georgia/Florida