1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greatest College Football Rivalries

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by robycop3, Jun 19, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, there hasn't been a Tenn-Auburn rivalry to amount to much. You'd think they'd have a triad like Texas-Ok-Neb.

2. patrick

patrick New Member

Dh1948.

You need to go back and look at the 2 schools. Players will tell you tenn is the biggy. Auburn would love 2 make the Alabama a big deal. When thinks get back to normal Au will be our whipping boys again

3. patrick

patrick New Member

Technically there is no iron bowl. That isn,t what old fans call it. I dislike that name.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am not from Al or Tenn. but I would say from an outsiders perspective that Al/Tenn is bigger than Al/Auburn. Would Auburn fans cheer for Al against Tenn? If so, it is not as heated a rivalry as others.

Still the biggest football rivalry ever is Ohio ST. (spits on ground) and Michigan. Even the sports media seems to recognize that. I will never pull for Ohio St. (turns to spit on ground) even if they are a Big Ten team and playing for the National Championship.

5. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Okay, guys...don't want to make a big deal out of this AL v. Au thing, but....

I have been an Al fan for nearly 50 years. Do I qualify for an "old fan?" IT IS still the Iron Bowl.

When Auburn plays Tennessee, I root for Tennessee. When Alabama plays Tennessee, a loyal Auby pulls for Tennessee. That's just the way it is in the Land of Dixie [​IMG]

6. patrick

patrick New Member

The iron bowl was conceived by media in B'ham. We no longer play the game there. Henceforth it can no longer be called the iron bowl.

The rilvary has always been bigger the cow college than Bama. I grew up and we were supposed to be Auburn. Bryant even poked fun at Auburn on several occasions. Tenn was a different story. The 3rd sat. in October was a big game. Bryant made it that way. Cigars when we won.

You go back and look at the history of Alabama football. You will see the importance of the Tenn game. They are a national team. Auburn doesn't have that nation wide image. 13-0....sec champs and still could not play for the national title, That is Auburn football. Tenn or Bama 13-0 and either would have been playing for the trophy.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

You hit the nail on the head patrick.