1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greek and Hebrew

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Havensdad, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

O.K., I am getting frustrated. I think that my Intermediate Greek Class is going to be cancelled, once again, by NOBTS for lack of students. What is irritating about it, is that I do not really need it...I already know the info. It is just to fulfill a class requirement. I would just test out of it, but because of a mistake that was made when I first started taking classes, they have it down that I already took that ICE exam, and I cannot retake it (the wrong exam was sent to me).

This stinks...does anyone know of any Graduate level Koine Greek classes, which do not cost an arm and a leg just to apply to? I was looking at RTS, but my goodness: they are expensive!!

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. dawilson8655

dawilson8655 New Member

I'm at Piedmont Baptist College online. They are offering Greek III online this fall but you have to have all your information into the school by next week. pbc.edu

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you are talking about online? Luther Rice University and Southern Evangelical Seminary offer graduate greek classes. Of course, LRU is not regionally accredited. SES is nationally accredited and working towards regional accreditation. Dallas Theological Seminary offers greek online as well.

4. Siberian

Siberian New Member

LRU is only offering Greek Grammar I this semester, according to their online schedule.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some state universities are quite good. Some are not.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be careful of secular programs. Was adding a BS to my BA from a then-unaccredited Maranatha Baptist College at the University of Wisconsin. Had to take about 24 credits at the University; the rest were accepted.

They set me up for an "Advanced Greek Class" basically one-on-one with the grad school prof. Pick up an added 3 credits in Greek.

Did not know until into the semester meeting with him for research assignments that he only knew CLASSICAL Greek and I only knew KOINE Greek. Wow.

I ended up working "above my pay level" on the works of Thucydides and living with my Liddell & Scott classical lexicon. Most universities without a school of theology will NOT have Koine Greek.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob's warning is very accurate.

However, here's something to think about. According to a friend of mine who took classical Greek at the University of Texas, once you know classical Greek, Koine Greek is a cinch. In fact, you get a broader understanding of what is happening in the Greek-influenced world and have a broader understanding of the context of the New Testament writers.