1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greek Pronunciation

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Psalm 95, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

How do you pronounce greek? Modern or Erasmian?

I will have some extra time for study this autumn, and think that I will try to learn at least som New Testament Greek.

I got to know that some greek scholars use modern greek pronounciation, instead of erasmian. This could simplify a little since I have a greek friend.

Would it be a big mistake to learn modern greek pronunciation?

2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

If you take classical Greek at any major Western university you will learn the so-called Erasmian pronunciation. The same is true for most Koine or biblical Greek programs. I recommend you learn the one everyone else is learning so you're not misunderstood (if ever in the situation) by the vast majority of all those who have studied ancient Greek.

3. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Once you get far enough to start actual translation. Practice on the Gospel of John or 1 Peter. Those are the easiest.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Logos Bible Software offers many products at a reasonable prices, including a Greek pronounciation addin

Greek Audio New Testament with Erasmian and Modern Data Sets

You will need to purchase a Logos product that offers a Greek text to use the product however.
    [I'd suggest purchasing the most costly program you can, it will be worth it and will save you money in the long run when you decide to upgrade!]

(Alas, the Hebrew prounciation addin is still giving them troubles and isn't yet available.)

The product allows you to hear how individual Greek words are pronounced; your choice either modern or Erasmian.

They also offer the Greek Audio New Testament which will "read" full passages using Erasmian prounciation.

Rob

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I didn't answer your question did I? :tongue3:

Of course some might insist that G_d speaks with an Erasmian accent...

but languages change and did so even before Erasmus developed his particular (peculiar) form of pronunciation.

I’d say go modern.

Rob

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

7. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

Thank you all for advices.

/Psalm 95