1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Greenhouse effect is a myth, say scientists

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...The UN report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was published in February. At the time it was promoted as being backed by more than 2,000 of the world's leading scientists.

But Professor Paul Reiter, of the Pasteur Institute in Paris, said it was a "sham" given that this list included the names of scientists who disagreed with its findings.

Professor Reiter, an expert in malaria, said his name was removed from an assessment only when he threatened legal action against the panel.
    "That is how they make it seem that all the top scientists are agreed," he said. "It's not true." ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...ogy.html?in_article_id=440049&in_page_id=1965

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Allow me to note that the article does not say that these scientists deny that the earth is warming (global warming). What they deny is that humans are the main cause of the warming. I agree with them. Why? Because, as a historian, I see plenty of evidence that global warming has been occuring for thousands of years. If modern man were the main cause of global warming the ancient ancestors of the Native Americans could have continued to cross the Bering Strait on dry land. Global warming prevented that.

I like the one statement where the scientist says:

"...climate change is too complicated to be caused by just one factor...The system is too complex to say exactly what the effect of cutting back on CO2 production would be or indeed of continuing to produce CO2"

As for the greenhouse effect being a myth, the scientists don't claim that. What they say is that it is not "the main driver". You can look at greenhouses or you can look at Venus to see that the greenhouse effect does bring about a rise in tempatures. These scientists are not denying that. What they are denying, for good reasons, is the idea that humans are causing a greenhouse effect that is raising the earth's temperatures.

#2 Martin, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2008